Comet Clutc

bodlan

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've just stripped down the clutch on the Comet to check the plates as it had been snatching a bit. The tangs on the outer bonded plate have been worn down to about half width and the slots in the clutch basket also worn accordingly.
I checked the spares company web site for prices and find that they seem to only stock a later type with the wider tangs. Obviously a much better job.
Then I got to thinking about the Conways Honda clutch. I'm sure that is going to be a lot more than the £228 for a new basket and plates. But whatever it costs how much better can it be?
I'm sure many out there have travelled this road before.
Any observations of both options would be greatly received

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Both work very well, the Conways clutch needs a little fettling to fit, but no problem. MartynG fitted a Honda clutch, and I'm using his "old" one! You can also repair your old drum with a strip of 1"x1/8" steel around the perpoofery as per "Know Thy Beast"

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I am very happy with the Conways Honda clutch conversion on my Comet and make the following observations

1. The effort at the clutch lever is around the same as the burmnan clutch.
2. You MUST run ATF fluid in the drive case and NOT engine oil,
3. It a very very good idea - with any type of clutch - to fit a mainshaft oil seal on the drive side as descibed by Richardson and also myself in a recent MPH.
4. Yes, with hindsight, I think it was a good thing to do.

You have another option http://www.bobnewbyracing.com/ offer a combination primary belt drive/dry clutch conversion that chankly bore is fitting to his "new" comet and I understand that the price is only slighty higher than the conway honda kit. Charlie may care to tell more about it.

Martyn G

youngjohn

Non-VOC Member
I put a Conways clutch on my Comet and it transformed the bike, made it a pleasure to ride.
The inner splines of the clutch basket need to be filed to fit the mainshaft. I found that the easiest way to do this is to beg borrow or steal a spare mainshaft and sit at the kitchen table in comfort and do it. I was told that the filing was necessary due to variances/wear on the splines but I find this a little hard to believe. Mine ended up fitting both shafts perfectly.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
My "Comet on Steroids" is using the Bob Newby clutch. It is not running yet, but the clutch is a thing of beauty. It fitted perfectly. Make sure you specify that it is for a BURMAN gearbox. you may need to make a simple spacer to get the correct drive line.

hooterman

VOC Member
Hi Bodlan, I'm in the process of reassembling my "Burnham clutch" the only reason for this is because I am replacing the rear chain/sprocket and G/box sprocket I have had no problems with this clutch.My clutch has been modified as per KTB with a strip of mild steel welded to the outer edge of the drum.If you can give me your email I can send you a pic,for some reason I am not able to do this via VOC email or PM maybe someone more familiar with the nuances of the voc site will show me the way to include pics in emails/pms

nobby

VOC Member
I had a Conways on the 600 with sidecar, at high speeds and in heavy traffic it never failed. Fantastic!

bodlan

VOC Member
Thanks everyone. I've moved to the other side now. Got a few questions about the gearbox so I'll use another thread.