Non Vincent Related Brough Superior Reveal Latest V-Twin

Luxury V-twin masters Brough Superior are expanding their road legal line-up for 2023 with a new Dagger roadster revealed at this year’s Milan show.

Built in their Saint-Jean factory, near Toulouse, the 997cc V-twin naked joins the firm’s Lawrence line-up, which pays tribute to their most famous rider T.E. Lawrence.
It follows on from the first Lawrence model released in 2020 and the scrambler-styled Lawrence Nefud that arrived in 2021.

Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 12.44.20.png

The circa 101bhp Euro5 motor is sandwiched in a machined titanium frame, which bolts to a titanium subframe.

The engine itself has been refreshed, for a claimed increased in power and torque, with an underslung two-into-one exhaust system exiting behind the minimal bellypan.

This is unlike the rest of the Lawrence range that enjoys twin-exit high-mounted pipes of varying styles.

Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 12.44.28.png

Above this bellypan lies a bulbous blacked-out radiator, shared with the turbocharged AMB 001 track-only superbike which was developed in tandem with Aston Martin.

This is all suspended from the ground via a double wishbone front fork set-up, complete with a preload and rebound adjustable shock, again produced in CNC machined aluminium.

At the rear of the bike, you’ll find a double-sided swingarm completed in the same material – again featuring a preload and rebound-adjustable shock.

Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 12.44.34.png

Moving on from the chassis, the minimalistic jagged bodywork is said to be inspired by the blade used by T.E. Lawrence and comes finished in black, with lashings of chrome on the twin-cylinder engine and understated gold finishes on the logos, and 17in rims.

These sizes allow for a broader selection of road-focused rubber and set it apart from the rest of the Lawrence range that adopt a 19in front and 17in rear.

On top of this, Brough say the geometry – including a 24.6-degree head angle – and revised curved handlebars help make the Dagger feel lighter on its feet than the rest of the range.

Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 12.44.40.png

The French firm also promise a 50/50 weight distribution, with the bike weighing in at a claimed 200kg.

Away from the handling, there’s also seven-spoke machined aluminium wheels, with stopping power provided by Beringer radial calipers at the front and rear. These bite on to Beringer stainless steel discs – twin 320mm rotors up front and a single 230mm at the rear.

What’s the catch, you might ask? It comes in at a frankly eye-watering €57,417, excluding VAT and transportation.

Screenshot 2022-12-02 at 12.44.48.png

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Dagger! What a great name, I wonder if they chose it as in "A dagger in George Brough's heart"

I see little to commend it, a lot more money than a really nice Rapide, and far less functional, but then again, I do live in the past.

Tnecniv Edipar

Non-VOC Member
Looks much better than their first iteration but still has little merit as a ground breaking design, and they depreciate frighteningly!
I'd much rather have one of the new MV Agustas's.

andrew peters

VOC Member
Shame so many people are looking at this bike just as another motorcycle 'competing' in a market with 'regular' or even old bikes. Personally I think it's a work of art and that's a big part of its appeal. Perhaps in the spirit of George Broughs bikes the new Dagger would simply be a collection and assemblage of the best proprietary parts available but than they would just end up with a Ducati ? The Idea of the design, I should imagine, is to 'engineer' or maybe over-engineer the Best possible Design, even though that can appear 'Form over Function'... but it's probably Very functional, as the designer imagined. And the designer is no doubt (in my mind) an Artist!
A tired argument in biker circles is Sport Bike verses Harley, but no-one compares a Sportscar to a Rolls Royce! The New Brough can/should only be compared to similar machines, (New) Ariels, Arch Motorcycles and Curtis (formally but not politically correctly named Confederate, Haha) Those bikes are similar in design and outrageous price tag and I'd say obviously marketed to the man with money and already with a garage full of far more practical forms of transport. And of course there's the already touched on. Price Tag! In case some guys haven't noticed, there are literally thousands of people out there with Way to much Money, and are quite anxious to spend it! and they will buy the most expensive machines or anything they can. Look at the (really, really) High end car market.. There area Lot cars you can look at for well over a Million Dollars, and those manufacturers don't just put out a couple examples, and they sell out very fast. There are even Million dollar Watches! So a $60K motorcycle? No doubt it'll sell out quickly and some potential buyers will even pass it by as not expensive enough, unless they can have more titanium, more Carbon Fibre, a bit more Gold.. and where's the Turbo?
Yep! be fair guys, see this bike as what it is.. I think it's beautiful, and the price is about right (Lol, like I could afford it today, or even tomorrow)
So, I'm off down to The Shed to check my investment portfolio, maybe wipe an oily rag over one of them, too cold to ride but there's alway a bit of tinkering to do... bet New Brough owners don't have to do that.. " actually I have a man to do such things.." I hear you say...

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The very first aspect I look at on a new motorcycle is how a pillion passenger is catered for, does the passenger seat look like it is designed purely for aesthetics, or is there any concession towards comfort, do the pillion footrests afford approximately the same level of comfort as the riders seat and leg position afford, if it does not, the rider will be receiving a thump in the back a little more frequently than he or she might like, not many modern bikes fulfil this criteria, thankfully, with a small suspension modification, there is one 1940s-1950s motorcycle that fulfils most of these requirements, along with many more.

Last edited: