FF: Forks Brampton FT235 Washers

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've just made a pair of those little FT235 washers that nestle inside the RHS friction discs.
Dimensions: OD = 7/8ths inch, ID = 1/2 inch - and thickness = 48thou (1.22mm).

My question is, should they be thicker than this to do their job?

Does anyone happen to have an original one in a box that they can measure please?

Peter B
IMG_4091.JPG

oexing

VOC Member
Washers not a necessity I´d think, the chromed covers keep the friction discs position near enough. You want to set threaded link bolts for nil play or a bit of friction, so no real use of the washers.

Vic

LoneStar

VOC Member
per Stevens & Griffin in MPH 512:

c. FT235 - two off. These are plain (unchamfered) washers and "unplated" (ie, not chromium-plated). They are fitted within the right hand friction discs, FT221R, which have a central 7/8 inch hole to clear the rounded ends of the link FT200. The function of the washer, besides helping to locate the friction disc centrally, is to act as a spacer between the link ends and the forks. Accordingly, the washers are 1/2 inch ID x 7/8 inch OD x 0.050 inch thick.

oexing

VOC Member
Hmmm, how can the friction discs come into action when these useless washers can be too thick ? So then the discs will not sit onto the central casting faces. For locating the discs the washers are not really required. Better leave them out so as not to get into complications.

Vic

ernie

VOC Assistant Secretary
VOC Member
Hmmm, how can the friction discs come into action when these useless washers can be too thick ? So then the discs will not sit onto the central casting faces. For locating the discs the washers are not really required. Better leave them out so as not to get into complications.

Vic
I tried O rings to keep grease off the disks. Didn’t work.

oexing

VOC Member
But even with these washers I cannot see how they can keep grease off the friction discs. Still I think they are quite useless and can compromise setting the fork up.
Myself, no troubles from grease, I do not run girders with greasing required, all IGUS bushes and discs no lube with them. O-rings may help, with correct thickness in there, but a high pressure grease gun will overcome o-rings.

Vic

P.S. Sorry got it wrong at first. You meant to centralize the friction discs by o-rings ? Still I think nothing in there would help much, stopping grease, just keeping the friction discs for not messing up setting the bolts later. There must be modern plastics around for replacing bronce bushes, so no grease required, in UK or US as well. Easy to machine and ream, cheap to get in rounds, ready made metric top hat bushes less useful here.

Last edited: