FF: Forks Brampton fork details

Shane998

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
My F55 balance beam, shown above, appears to be a "bent" Girdraulic version , rather than a Brampton style.
I am remembering the correct balance beam would not clear the Brampton tubes.

So, what does the Brampton axle nut pin E128 do?

It would appear to be expecting a larger AF nut. OR?

View attachment 43544
The pin stops the nut turning In your photo the nut has tightened with the flat of nut opposite the pin that can often happen but if the nut wanted to turn the point of the nut would touch the pin preventing further turning The Brampton’s on my rapide never had that pin I have thought of fitting one but the axle tightens up ok so never have

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I believe standard is for front brake cable to go to the left as described by Ossie But most people I know fit to the right side which give a longer more sweeping curve of cable from brake lever to balance beam It also is supposed to prevent possible fouling of the cable on something that I’m sorry I just can’t seem to remember
First photo is of 3 series B's outside the factory with test riders and I know the date is late 1948. If you zoom in you can see all 3 have the short brake cable on the LH (primary) side.

The second photo is a factory photo of an early Rapide and you can see the long cable thread between the Brampton tubes and down the right side.

Third photo is from a 1947 magazine. Again you can see the long brake cable down the RH side.
I think the change of sides came in with the Girdraulics as those are solid and so you cannot pass the long brake cable through the middle of them. I don't know if they then used the same swapped over Girdraulic cable system on the later series B bikes.

Note if you use the correct earlier system Craig then the RH adjuster will move away (downwards) from the lower link on the RH side when you apply the brake rather than upwards which also helps with the clearance to the link on the RH side. There doesn't appear to be as much of a clearance problem with the LH link.

series B at factory.jpg

130928067_4860807893990843_4988455664321691007_o.jpg

1947The_Motor_Cycle_1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

craig

VOC Member
Thank you for the photos. Great reference.

I resolved my link clearance issue by reducing the diameter of the cable adjuster knurled portion.
I prefer the heavier housing spares cable going to the left fork, this adjuster solution works for me.

Here is another Brampton reference cable to the right side.

1947RapideBrampton.jpg

HelmetDiver

New Forum User
VOC Member
Why does the pin exist at the Brampton fork right side axle nut as if it is to provide a stop for the 507 nut?
And it does not stop the nut.

What is the thread size/type of the hole just below the fender stay bolt? it is 5/16"CEI

View attachment 43538
The pin does stop the nut rotating. It's not a close fit but it stops the nut rotating when you undo the tommy bar. It only just catches the tip of the nut. Well at least it does on my Bramptons which are an original fit and have been in my possession for over 50 years. I think the tapped hole may be a hangover from Series A front stand/mudguard stay and normally has nothing in it.

HelmetDiver

New Forum User
VOC Member
Why does the pin exist at the Brampton fork right side axle nut as if it is to provide a stop for the 507 nut?
And it does not stop the nut.

What is the thread size/type of the hole just below the fender stay bolt? it is 5/16"CEI

View attachment 43538
The pin should stop the nut rotating. It does on my Bramptons which are an original fit and been in my possession for over 50 years and the nut has not changed or been replaced. It's not a tight fit but just picks up on the tip of the nut as it tries to rotate. I think the tapped hole is redundant and a hangover from Series A forks that had a front stand/mudguard stay

Last edited by a moderator:

Albervin

VOC Member
Craig. The threaded hole is for the rear stay of the guard that was used to raise the front wheel on a Series A and Meteor. The pin should stop the axle nut from rotating, have you fitted the thick washer? The Series B balance beam has a major bend to clear the tubes and WILL accept the longer cable on the LHS if all is aligned and won't foul the spindle nut. Twenty three years of riding a B.