Misc: Ignition B.T.H Mag - no spark

mercurycrest

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The only 2 BT-H's I have worked on have a plain black wire with copper core and plastic coating. Mine has always been clipped to the HT leads and never shorted them out.
The BTH John Stanley bought had a coax wire. He found that out when He phoned Coventry Spares and talked to John.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The only 2 BT-H's I have worked on have a plain black wire with copper core and plastic coating. Mine has always been clipped to the HT leads and never shorted them out.
My BT-H is on a Rapide. Kill wire clipped to the HT leads, 50,000 miles, no problems with the magneto.

greg brillus

VOC Member
The newer BTH mags are a CDI type, not a true magneto........That's why their output does not have the same grunt as a magneto........I've been running one on my bike for some time now, no problems, but I have seen a few fail, and too much trouble and cost to send for repair.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have a modern BTH and I have used Bosch Platinum, Denso (can't remember the numbers) and Champion N5C in my twin and it has always started first kick cold if I tickle it well.