Amal premier cable adjuster thread size

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Can someone tell me the thread dimensions for the cable adjusters in the top of Amal Premier 928's? I want to make bent tubes for the cables to prevent kinking. I see that several people have done this successfully. Thanks.

Ron

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Hi Ron
I made a sketch and sent it thru to Venhills. Their Featherlight cables are about the best thing you can buy, stainless cable inside of a Teflon liner. The operating friction is reduced to zilch and they do not require lubrication. Plus, the ends are done perfectly ( silver-soldered) so the nipples won't pull off at some inopportune moment. They made up the bends as requested. Here is the sketch I sent them for use with a Thomaselli quick turn twin pul throttle and Amal Premiers.

Albervin

VOC Member
Could be the spares company may stock these? As a complete basket case of an engineer I rely on people like Glen and others to bring these useful ideas to the fore.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Could be the spares company may stock these? As a complete basket case of an engineer I rely on people like Glen and others to bring these useful ideas to the fore.

Thanks Glen and Albervin,

It's great that we can see what others have done about these things. I have a serious problem with cable kinking, and having these cables available as stock items would really help. I know I can reinvent the wheel and go to Flanders or Barnett or buy a tube bender and find my own solution, but... I will now get in touch with Venhills, (If they saved the details), and may not have to learn all about every cable fitting and size to get something that works. It is a lot to expect of the VOC spares company to keep up with any non standard inventory , but I would rather buy from them if they could stock a good improvement. For now, a good supplier and solution seems available. I like the comments saying" perfect".

Ron

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
I'm really impressed with the Venhills cables in Featherlight spec. I had a very stiff clutch on my Commando which required 27 pounds of pull measured with a spring gauge. This was with a freshly oiled conventional cable. Just by switching to the Featherlight cable pull was reduced to 15 pounds. Changing the stack height cut the pull even futher, it is now down around 7 pounds, but the cable change was the biggest factor. Stainless cable on teflon is very slippery and, unlike nylon, which has been used as a liner in the past, teflon is not hygroscopic.
One other member used my sketch to order cables from Venhills and they came out fine. He sent Venhills a copy of my sketch as they did not have it on file. He was using the same Thomaselli throttle so everything worked. If a different throttle is used, the free length needed might be different than on the sketch.
Glen

Oldhaven

VOC Member
I did some research, (this seems to be a common question), and it appears that the thread on the AMAL carb top is 7/32-40, an ASME thread.

Ron

davidd

VOC Member
I did some research, (this seems to be a common question), and it appears that the thread on the AMAL carb top is 7/32-40, an ASME thread.

Ron

You beat me to it, but without seeing the taps and dies I could only remember the 40 tpi. I made quite a few of these for street bikes. Another good source for existing bends, but not necessarily the same threads, is scooter shops. It seems that all their cables use bends and they often have them in stock.

David