H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres 7" TLS rear brake

Mark Fisher

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Does anyone know if it is possible to fit one of those 7" TLS brakes (made in Holland?) to the rear LH brake of my norvin? It has a vincent rear wheel with a standard drum on the left and a sprocket carrier on the right. The swingarm is still a standard norton slimline. If this is possible without major mods (bike is now on the road and being ridden most days in order to break the engine in) where could I get one of these brake plates?
thanks
Mark

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
You might be lucky to source one, Vincent Speet from Holland manufactured them, but I believe he has now ceased production, also he was talking of leaving the VOC, I am not sure if he has or not, if he has it will be another sad loss to the club, he is a very talented man.

vibrac

VOC Member
I find it difficult as to why (apart from eye candy :rolleyes: ) you would want a more efficient rear brake (gasps of amazement! o_O ) I know from racing experience on a twin that the rear tyre is close to breaking traction with the effect of closed throttle engine breaking on its own. I have never found the rear brake even with just one drum a great problem I suppose two up with luggage giving more rear weight there may be a case...

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes a single standard drum is just right for me !, Like they did with the "D",
2 drums a bit too much ?, With my big feet,
I put a Norton disc on the back, It was more easy to do with a 5 spoke alloy wheel,
But I had to detune it SO much or I would wind up on my bum !.
Cheers Bill.

highbury731

VOC Member
I have never had a 2ls rear brake, but from experience of 2ls on the front, they simply do not work backwards - such as when doing a hill start.
If one standard 7" sls brake is not strong enough, I suggest either a wider 7" drum, or get one of the 8" drums from VOC Spares.
Paul

stu spalding

VOC Member
With 7" sls I've often thought that they weren't up to much on the rear wheel, during testing, yet when it comes to a panic stop the back end locks up, no problem. Cheers Stu.

davidd

VOC Member
Mark,

Most riders do not know how to use a rear brake on a motorcycle (me included). On the street, it is difficult to go fast enough to use the rear brake through long corners to stabilize the bike. The trick is to adjust the brake to never lock up during the application of maximum force. This should give you a decent stop on the street when using all the brakes. Using the rear brake with the front at all times is not a bad way to go. This technique works very well with Girdraulics. It will prevent the same problems that the new steering stems prevent. It is best to have a new steering stem and not rely on the rear brake because you may not be able to deploy the rear brake for a number of reasons (panic stops, the rear brake adjustment went away, the shoe broke, etc.)

An 8" brake would work fine on the rear and it provides much better braking. Pat is putting one 8" on the rear of his bike for better braking.

The Vincent rear brake is already detuned by design and it will not work as well as the front. The brake plate and shoes are pretty poor and the linings are low friction. It may be that you can tune the rear brake up to do what you want, but it is not clear to me what you want.

Bill Lomas was the first GP rider that I know of who perfected the rear braking technique of maximum rear braking with no lock-up. He kept it a secret. When Bill and John Surtees were at a GP event, John complained to Bill that his Flash had a wobble at a certain part of the track. Bill took out the Flash and found nothing unusual. Of course, Bill was probably using the rear brake out of habit, which would have gone a long way to preventing any wobbles. Surtees might have been very close to finding the answer he was looking for.

David

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
For racing all ok.

But riding a 1000 m Mountain down i find it very handy, as to be able to dissipate the heat better. Front and rear a bit, no overheating.