Misc: Electrical (General) 6V Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have an electric outboard motor on my boat. It is normally eleven months before I get back to the boat after a holiday and the battery is still at about 96% charge. One reason that these batteries are popular on large multihull boats, that people live on, is that they can be regularly discharged to about 10% of their full charge with no ill effects. Do that with lead acid batteries and you will shorten their lives dramatically. They are also weigh much less than lead acid batteries which is of interest to live aboard multihull boats which might carry four to eight 120 amp hour batteries.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Is a Lithium Ion Battery the Same as a Lithium Iron Battery?
No, a lithium-ion (Li-ion) battery differs from a lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) battery. The two batteries share some similarities but differ in performance, longevity, and chemical composition. LiFePO4 batteries are known for their longer lifespan, increased thermal stability, and enhanced safety. LiFePO4 batteries also do not use nickel or cobalt.
Is LiFePO4 better than Lithium-ion?
In most ways, LiFePO4 batteries are better than comparable lithium-ion batteries. Lithium iron phosphate batteries are less prone to combustion and thermal runaway, making them safer for home use. Plus, a longer cycle life means the LiFePO4 batteries will outlast lithium-ion for up to five times longer.

oexing

VOC Member
There is a chemical difference between Li types which may explain different behaviours: The LiFePo4 cells got 3.2 V voltage per unit while the more pyro-leaning Li-Ion types got 3.7 V per cell. First I ordered the Li-Ion power pack, confusing specs on the Aliexpress page and myself not studying the text well. So when I got the power pack I realised I could not use it on the BMW, the total voltage of the pack was 14.8 V . That was not suitable for the alternator when that just does 14 V, the batteries would never charge fully. So then had the LiFePo4 cells ordered which by specs should accept the 14 V charge with total of 4x3.2 V means 12.8 V in the BMW. In a 6 V system and two cells you´ll get 6.4 V packs so just right for the Vincent with Miller .

Vic
Li-Ion cells

LiFePo4 cells