H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Which rims & spokes?

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not that hard to lace them up yourself.
Probably factual, but as a one off task, never to be repeated, I would imagine it could be quite challenging, I used to fit locks for a living, and as one would expect, or at least hope, I became very proficient, but I have seen one off attempts by "proficient DIY have a go types" that almost caused me physical pain, I could have done a better job with a hand axe!

vibrac

VOC Member
I built a wheel with a taveners Jig (mainly because it was a hub center steerer) I never spun the wheel till it was back in the bike just a 1/32 nd out easily adjusted.
I was told that during WW2 BSA used (taverners) jigs and Girls to build all the spoked wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Simon,
Did some bikes, Korean War era leave with black painted rims, no chrome at all?
Or using an alternative plating?
Al

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Vincent wheels should be one of the easiest to build, I've been building wheels as an amateur for 50 years but not had to do a Vincent one yet.
All the spokes are the same length and will only face one way in the hub, and the head can be inserted through the spoke flange, the only trick is keeping them in place in the spoke flange while putting the others in, plastic wall plugs are your friend here, inserted in the hole they stop the spokes coming out.
And the wheel is symmetrical, both sides are the same and equally off set.

Doug68

Forum User
VOC Member
I would expect if you were having a hard time finding someone to build a wheel for you that your local moto-cross bike shop should be able to advise on who can do it in your area.

Also is there a source for the striped rims now or do people organize it on their own? Obviously its not easy as getting the paint to stick well is going to be a bugger to chrome or stainless.

highbury731

VOC Member
Yes some bikes had all black painted rims. I think it was due to nickel shortage during the Korean War.
I read on this site that during the Korean war, some Vincent parts (kick start lever was referenced) were triple nickle plated instead of Cu-Ni-Cr. Must have been a chromium shortage.
I think an all black rim with a red line would look stylish