Vincent oil temperatures in real time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kansas Bad Man

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi Trev, in your opinion how much difference would an ambient temp of say 30c make to those temps, I am still running in my Comet and am reluctant to ride on days when we are above 35c, I fear a synergistic effect on overall engine temperature. (being very cautious)

Regards
Kevin

Hi Keven
I guess the rule of thumb would be, 30wt for 100 degree F--- 10 wt for 15 degree F , 50 wt for any temp is becoming a thing of the past for the vin.

clevtrev

VOC Member
In `84 when I managed to put on 13,000 miles in 31 days, I used Rotella 30, with no problems at all, and that was through 100+ degrees F in Kansas. Yes, I`ve been there Max. A 10-30 Diesel is what I recommend. Plus the addition of ZX1 in both engine oil and gearbox oil.

Prince Duster

VOC Member
Trev - so what weight, straight oil, did your test suggest is best for a standard twin in the south of the Uk winter and summer? DL

clevtrev

VOC Member
Six hours a day at more than 70MPH? Did you do longer days or higher speeds?
Six hours ? that would have been a `rest` day. I started that rip from Toronto, aiming to reach the Rally that was to be held in Tennessee, at the camp site run by one of a former Portsmouth section, Frank Baker, by heading west then south, then east. Imagine trying to plan a route for that, not knowing what you are about to see, or experience. Four way stops at intersections when leaving Chicago, played havoc with the clutch, going across Minnesota in a rainstorm, we have never ever experienced in the UK, going across North/South Dakota, where you can look behind and see yesterday, whilst looked ahead into tomorrow, that`s 500 miles of NOTHING. Three time zones, continually looking at the map and trying to compute how far can I go before I have to change direction. Anyway I did get to Tennessee, in 9 days, a little over 4000 miles, albeit a day earlier than I anticipated. That included a trip up the Rockies to 12,000 feet.

David, as above 10 when it`s chilly and 30 when it`s warmer.

Dingocooke

Non-VOC Member
Not applicable on a road bike, but on my 86 bore Manx, I doctored one of those in car plug in single mug boilers (it was like this but a bit shorter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-car-v...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ecf11a54b ) theyre a fiver give or take, and with a quick soldering job, fitted a long enough lead to go from the van fag lighter socket to the bike, drop the heater in the central oil tank and warm the oil up; saves loads of paddock warm up times, which must wear the engine out running cold to heat up all that oil? Bike started easier too, and you could be a little more lean with the jetting which helps get rid of megaphonitis on a Manx (so many are set up as per out of the box, in other words, very rich to start easier)
Sorry for the thread drift

b'knighted

VOC Member
An interesting thought though. With a Walkernator fitted, one could be arranged as an immersion heater on a Conways style manhole into the UFM. You wouldn't need a van.

davidd

VOC Member
I have an oil temp gauge on the Egli. It would on occasion wobble off the peg, but never higher. One day while returning home on a super highway I ran up to top speed and stayed there for 10 or so miles. It was geared for 140, but I assume it was less. As I was enjoying myself I looked at the oil temperature and it was half way through the scale! I was curious as to why. I reached down toward the mag and there was little to no turbulence. I realized that much of the front of the engine was masked by the front wheel. The air stream was hitting my legs near the rear cylinder hard.

John Renwick uses an immersion heater in his remote oil tank that he uses with the Dyno. I considered trying to do something like this on the racer, but I just switched to synthetic oil instead.

David

clevtrev

VOC Member
It doen`t matter if your oil is synthetic, semi synthetic, or just plain ordinary, until it gets to operating temperature it`s not doing your engine any good. 180 degrees F is about normal for it to function as it is designed.

Status
Not open for further replies.