C: Clutch Undersize C3 shaft

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My vernier says the PD22 and PD24 bushes are right on 1.25", but there is too much clearance. C3 shoe carrier is about 1.245", with around 5 thou running clearance. That is too much, and new bushes will not cure it. So, do I ignore the issue, buy a new C3, or find a way to increase the C3 shaft by around .003"? A friend suggests nickel plating, I was thinking of hard chrome.
Suggestions?

oexing

VOC Member
Agree, Greg ! If it was my bike I´d likely skim the C 3 shaft in the lathe and fabricate 2 bushes to size. The seal between bushes shall not induce much friction else the clutch will drag a bit when selecting first gear . So a x-ring would be nice , with some grease in its groove, but an o-ring with minimal nip is allright I´d think.

Vic

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
I would be reluctant to use a vernier caliper expecting it to accurately read to 0.001" as it just isn't possible. Digital or not.
Best us use proper measuring equipment if you're planning on making any comparison or changes.

litnman

VOC Member
A Speedy Sleeve may do the trick. Specs give details on fitting them. Speedi Sleeve is another brand.
Screen Shot 2023-08-22 at 6.18.29 PM.png

highbury731

VOC Member
That sounds like a neat solution. If you can spot the part number, that will be great. I do favour emendment over replacement..