C: Clutch Twin Clutch Drag

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think the excess clearance might be a good start. If you think about the way the pilot clutch works through the two toggle arms, then the more the clearance the more the two toggles are nearly perpendicular and the more force they can impart as the linings are starting to touch the inside of the drum. If the toggles are still at a shallow angle, then I would be looking at weak centralising springs. I also like to use a needle roller thrust race (my design) in the centre of the pilot outer plate to ensure that it lifts square.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
TT says:- the more the clearance the more the two toggles are nearly perpendicular and the more force they can impart as the linings are starting---------------------------------
I can remember listening when some knowledgeable folk talking at rallies and they fitted shorter toggles for this very reason.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Hi Robert, Yes the leading and trailing edges are chamfered.......I've got an idea that with soft linings and too large a gap, this is most likely the culprit.......... I guess in reality there is only so many things it can be........I know if there is some oil leaks in there, the clutches do feel better until they slip........So friction related.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
TT says:- the more the clearance the more the two toggles are nearly perpendicular and the more force they can impart as the linings are starting---------------------------------
I can remember listening when some knowledgeable folk talking at rallies and they fitted shorter toggles for this very reason.
I think I remember Paul Packman, West London, Making shorter toggles,
But later I think a shoe broke !!, Don't know if the short toggles caused that ?.

oexing

VOC Member
Shorter or longer toggles ?? My uninformed thinking would be longer toggles as then they return to not so drastic loads on shoes from servo effect when the flatter angle like in new linings is restored.

Vic

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The plunger in the C7 clutch shoe controls how quickly that shoe engages. You might try a little more pressure, maybe 1/2 a turn in at a time on the plunger adjusting screw, to see if that softens the engagement. (Don't increase the plunger pressure too much or you will get slip.) No cost to try other than a bit of dismantling that doesn't take too long when you've done it a few times.;)

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I know my Mainshaft has a slight bend in it,
Might try more spring pressure ?,
Made me look like a Learner yesterday !,
Not been out for a few years on the Special,
Slight grab on the clutch, Big high Handlebars and 36 mm Carb's, TT 100 front tyre,
And I think light flywheels, Plus a bit of Cramp !,
I bet I Looked like a Silly old Fart, Certainly felt like it :) .

Attachments

• IMG_20221119_133700 (2).jpg
    IMG_20221119_133700 (2).jpg
    367.7 KB · Views: 16

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
At least the mechanical issues are solvable, well for me, 57 years of ongoing solutions, but cramp is quite another problem, I can ride for miles, then have to stop for some reason or other, put my feet down, then go to pull away, whilst settling my feet on the footrests, it strikes, for no identifiable reason, and then after a few very strange movements and a forward facing straight leg, it passes, I find it most annoying.