H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Trevor Southwell re brakes

erik

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
As far as I know there is no superior brake coming from Yorkshire. The Schmitz brake is from Hessen in Germany and the Speet brake from Holland in the Netherlands ! Sorry !

timetraveller

VOC Member
Erik, it is a joke. I am also a fellow Yorkshireman. We are known for being careful when spending money to the extent that, when jokingly referring to myself a Yorkshire man, I claim that we have never understood the profligacy of the Jews and the Scots. Just joking and if you do not get it then that is probably because it does not translate across different countries.

stu spalding

VOC Member
I seem to remember Stuart Spalding either tried, or is using this brake modification.
Indeed Peter, It is written up in MPH 821, June 2017. It gives the effect of freshly turned to size brake linings but then maintains that as it allows the shoes to self-adjust as they wear. Cheers, Stu.

davidd

VOC Member
As far as I can tell from reading the Ferodo engineer's comments, the floating shoes, based on Burt's design, are allowed to float in all directions rather than one direction. This allows them to float away from the drum as well as towards the drum. Typically, pivoted shoes are "crown-ground" rather than "round-ground" like floating shoes. I assume that Burt was still crown-grinding the shoes causing them to move toward the cam. I am not certain how they would wear.

I would guess that the link that joins the pivots is probably the best part of the mod and the floating part is not well thought out. The link should prevent the bending of the pivots toward one another, which is a real problem. The shoes themselves are also bending excessively.

I think those same engineers who calculate the angle of the brake shoes through the center hole would be inclined to say that allowing the center hole to move around would not be an advantage for the shoe contact angles with the drum, which seem critical for consistent braking. But, brake geometry is the most complicated engineering on the motorcycle.

David

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Tolerance versus temperature variation is an important consideration when dealing with brake design.
Extreme temperature variations inside loaded hubs can make life interesting.
A minefield of negative possibilities opens up when experimenting with brake design.

The quest to improve a 70 year old design which was good in its time for me is over.
The available Speet Brake kit and Schmitz 8" twin lead shoe brake are the answers.

After having to use the pointy nose pliers to remove a Vincent seat cover from my ass, the decision was made to invest in some new Speet brakes and replace the now well puckered seat cover,or slow down and stay indoors.
I choose life and new brakes.

stu spalding

VOC Member
the floating shoes, based on Burt's design, are allowed to float in all directions rather than one direction.
Hi Davidd, this is why I firmed up the mounting so the shoes would only move under serious braking force. Another rider, on trying my brakes in comparison with his TLS setup, said that while my SLS weren't as good, if his standard SLS had been as good as my modded SLS he wouldn't have gone to TLS. Cheers, Stu.