E: Engine Thread Prefixes

G

Graham Smith

If you care to take a look through the Technical Advice forum, you'll now see that when you post a new 'Thread', you'll be asked to insert a Thread 'Prefix'.

You should be able to see that I've set the Thread Prefix of this thread to "PR: Proprietary Items" - just so you can see what it looks like.

Hopefully this will us search for things as the forum progresses.

If you take a look at the attached image you can see the basic prefixes I've created, but if you can think of anything I've missed out, please do shout - it's pretty easy to add new ones.

Best

Graham

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.41.17.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-07 at 12.41.17.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 39
G

Graham Smith

Yes, I assumed electrical and carbs would come under 'PR' as presumably Vincents used to just buy them in?

Am happy to change it though if you think it needs a separate category.

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Graham,

Great Idea - all for it!

However, although there is not usually much on Series A machines, the Forum is becoming an important resource for seeking information on them - especially given the paucity of published information out there. Therefore, rather than have to search through pages of "X, Misc" stuff like lifeboat engines, lawnmowers, Amandas, etc, can we have a prefix for "Series A" matters please?

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

G

Graham Smith

Hi Peter, good idea re the categories.

Take a look now - I've assigned a few categories so that all the post-war items can fall within one category.

I've also included Series 'A's, plus a couple of others.

If someone wants me to go further (Peter?!) - just jot down a 'tree' of how you think it should look, and I'll do the necessary.

After all - it's everyone's forum, not mine!

G

G

Graham Smith

If you've never posted anything on the forum before - have a go and post a 'test' on the Technical Forum and try out the new 'prefixes'.

We can always delete them once you've seen how it all works.

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Some suggestions to ignore or incorporate, as you see fit:

I think "Proprietary" is a bit too ambiguous to be useful since it could refer to an essential item (like a carburetor) or an optional item (like a Feridax locking throttle). Also, since original shocks are no longer available, anyone wanting to discuss replacement shocks would have to decide whether to pick "Proprietary" or Spring Boxes." Anyway, for such reasons I suggest changing "Proprietary" to something like "Accessories" and then adding new categories for "Carburetors" (which could mean Mikuni as well as all varieties of original and later Amals), "Electrical/DC" and "Electrical/Ignition."

Unfortunately, "Electrical/DC" may be confusing to some, but electricity covers everything from the original 6V dynamo to aftermarket ignition replacements so it does seem to require at least two categories to be useful (Electrical/Starter Motors could be a third category since it differs quite a bit from the other two). But, maybe there's a better term to use than electrical/dc.

Because of the automatic alphabetization "F: Frame" isn't adjacent to "FT: Frame (Twin)" in the pull-down menu. However, is it really important to have two or more separate categories for frames, anyway? Aren't there enough aspects in common that just one frame category would be more useful?

Partially for alphabetical reasons the engine categories should be reconsidered. If "E: Engine" needs to be broken into further categories it would be better to have something like "EOP: Engine (oil pump)" instead of "Oil Pump" so it's easy to spot the potential choices when creating a new thread.

Also, at the risk of forcing someone to read something that might only apply to a Comet engine, singles and twins have more in common than they have differences. Trying to separate them results in category proliferation that could significantly reduce the usefulness of this scheme. Clutches and gearboxes being the exception to this "rule."

G

Graham Smith

They don't have to be alphabetical. I can put them in whatever order you think.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
How about looking at the categories on the VOC spares company website and using something similar. It seems to work for them.
Simon