Non-VOC Member
Shown in photos above:
Terry Prince top end (92mm bore)
Terry Prince bottom end (100mm stroke)
Norton AMC gearbox
Pazon Ignition
Alton Generator
Bob Newby belt drive and clutch
Home-made frame tie piece 10mm thick, mig welded with a crease down the centre for strengthening.

What’s to come:
Mikuni 36mm carburettor
Vincent frame with telescopic forks. Suzuki GSX750 forks and Kawasaki ER6 triple clamps.
Suzuki water bottle 4ls front brake
Series D rear end (Single vincent brake on the right and rear sprocket on the left).
18” Excel rims front and rear

Open to any ideas or criticism.

Bradley Burt

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The carburettor is the same size as what the Godet Vincents use on their 1330s. Since the bore and stroke of this comet is the same, we went with the same size carburettor. We have an AVO for the rear.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
A good idea to machine a retaining groove on the inlet stub to match the ring formed inside the carburettor stub, especially if you fit an air cleaner. Otherwise any backfire will blow the plot off. Don't ask me how I found out! I only run a 34mm carb., quite adequate.

Bradley Burt

Non-VOC Member
Nice but are the Japanese bits really necessary?
I don't think they will look out of place. The only original Vincent parts will be the crankcases and the timing cover.

A good idea to machine a retaining groove on the inlet stub to match the ring formed inside the carburettor stub, especially if you fit an air cleaner. Otherwise any backfire will blow the plot off. Don't ask me how I found out! I only run a 34mm carb., quite adequate.
Thanks Charlie, that is tomorrow's job.

davidd

VOC Member
DSC02482 (2).jpg

DSC02481 (2).jpg

DSC02493 (2).jpg

I built the frame and designed the chassis using Japanese parts because they are high quality and very inexpensive. The owner did the engine installation and built all the controls. He is very happy with it and rides it around with a smile. I also chose a GSXR front end and wheel, but the 600 to get the softer springs. The rear wheel has a cush drive and fits a standard Vincent. Tubeless tires are good and the brakes are everything you could want.

I would not expect everybody to like it but it is a sound bike and fun to ride.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
Nothing wrong with Mikuni Carbs their only equal are the original Amals before the bean counters took over and value engineered the monoblock and then the ultimate in cost cutting the consens*it
But one thing is for sure if the carb whatever it is is working OK don't change it!
Well 'Nothing wrong' really means they do their petrol control perfectly there are two small faults with Mikuni
one is the height at which the petrol enters the carb difficult on a Vincent tank the other is the retention of the rubber tube, never mind backfire blowing the carb off, I have done the clip up and watched it squeeze off ! (this is with a groove) the reason may have been oil on the tract but I simply used a piece of racing radiator hose that sorted it.
I could add a third fault but its more me than Mikuni I could never remember if the choke is up or down on that lever but I now know its counter intuitive