C: Clutch Squeaky Clutch

nigsey

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My C Rap has developed a squeak when it’s running in gear and I pull the clutch lever in, seems to cease when the rear wheel stops turning. I have been adjusting the bolt ET27/1AS on the kitchen start cover on a fairly regular basis as the engagement point on clutch lever was getting shorter and shorter and now it engages when the lever is about a quarter of its travel. I’m guessing the clutch plates are worn out, are my suspicions correct? It’s a multi plate clutch according to the documentation that came with the bike. Supposed to be going on a ride out tomorrow but am a bit nervous about the clutch. Any advice please?

Nigel Spaxman

VOC Member
Some of the multiplate clutches run very close to the inside of the clutch cover. There are deeper clutch covers available to provide more clearance. If it rubs it will only be in motion when the wheel is turning. When you are stationary when you lift the clutch the pressure plate isn't turning. You shouldn't have to keep adjusting the slack in the push rod. I haven't had to adjust mine for about 15,000 miles. I think you should take the cover off the clutch and have a look in there. You will probably see where the rubbing is happening. Maybe if the bolt that holds the clutch on the gearbox is coming unscrewed gradually that would explain the problem.

nigsey

VOC Member
Some of the multiplate clutches run very close to the inside of the clutch cover. There are deeper clutch covers available to provide more clearance. If it rubs it will only be in motion when the wheel is turning. When you are stationary when you lift the clutch the pressure plate isn't turning. You shouldn't have to keep adjusting the slack in the push rod. I haven't had to adjust mine for about 15,000 miles. I think you should take the cover off the clutch and have a look in there. You will probably see where the rubbing is happening. Maybe if the bolt that holds the clutch on the gearbox is coming unscrewed gradually that would explain the problem.
That’s very helpful, I’ll whip the cover off and take a look. Many thanks Nigel.

nigsey

VOC Member
Clutch push rod boring its way into G91/1 would be my guess. Maybe you should also take the kickstart cover off and have a look there too.
That’s a very interesting one, it certainly would explain the squeaking and it does sound like metal on metal. Thank you.

nigsey

VOC Member
If that's the problem, you probably need to change the (most likely) single rod to a three-piece item; two rods separated by a single roller in the middle.
I’ll obviously know more once I’ve stripped it out but if the pushrod is the problem then I’ll take your excellent advice. I recall my speedway bike had a similar two piece rod with a roller in the middle. Many thanks for your help, I give some feedback once it’s sorted.

timetraveller

VOC Member
If the push rod has worn into the lever arm there will be a hollow which will stop the lever arm sliding easily against the push rod for future use. The easy solution is to get someone to use Stellite filler rod to weld up the hole. You then have to grind the filler back to the original shape. That is not a critical job and can be done by hand. If you are not familiar with Stellite then it is a series of materials which are hard and wear resistant. Different grades have different hardness and your welder, or someone on here, will be able to advise which grade to use.