E: Engine rev counter

Tubby

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
IMG_20140402_152604.jpg

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I Think the bells are a better design for the ATD. I have seen a lot of different designs for these. I liked this design because it was nice and light:

Tach Adapter 02.jpg

I am not sure why anyone would need a tach and an ATD, but it can be done.

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
If this is a bike you intend on riding I would avoid this set up full stop, the chance of a major failure is very high. Getting back to the BTH atd, the other issue with them is it is very difficult to modify the "Stops" to reduce the amount of travel, as it uses a series of ramps and large brass rollers and this is not easy to change.

erik

VOC Member
what is about Timing the ignition?is it possible to unscrew this bell through the inspection cover to reach the central nut of the ATD?

davidd

VOC Member
Erik,

There is not much room in there. The first mod in aluminum is held in place by the angle drive itself. The very first mod I mentioned in MPH required a machined aluminum extension to move the ATD cover outboard for clearance. Peter Sprot's looks like it has a removable face plate, but it would add some weight to the gear. The Ron Barrle mod above is light and attached to the gear, but I am not certain as to his method of attachment.

To me, it seems like a lot of work to do something the Factory never intended. Having ridden all my riding life with the tach provided on my Egli, I cannot remember putting it to good use. Most twins do not get revved very hard even is fast riding. If you are revving your twin hard, a manual ignition with a tach is the best. If you want to use an ATD you will have to make some type of compromise. Peter Sprot's looks like the best, but it is a lot of machining.

On all the racers I run a Scitsu. It would not look right on an old bike, but it is cheap accurate and easy to mount.

David

Last edited by a moderator: