H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Poor brakes, 1948 HRD rapide.

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The clearance on taper rollers is obviously a question of expansion to some extent, the wheel bearings on the Vincent have a running clearance not unlike the front wheel bearings on most all rear wheel drive cars. However, the pinion bearings (taper rollers) in the "differential" of the same car do have pre-load, and this is so the pinion maintains exact alignment over the normally expected life of the vehicle. It is also exposed to a more fluid kind of lubrication (gear oil rather than grease) The very clever "Back to Back" taper roller bearing set up used in the drive side of the majority of Harley Davidson engines is near bullet proof, and will handle huge amounts of power and abuse.......Actually far superior to the stock bearing arrangement used in post war Vincent's and a mod that a lot of "Hotrod" Vincent builders use. These bearings come with a "Special spacer" that is designed to space the two roller races apart with a known running clearance which must be used. When assembled you can feel the movement in the crank, but only just. Certain brands of bearing are preferable to the known builders who have learnt which ones survive and which don't.

Bill Cannon

VOC Member
Wish you were here Bill! I have been putting off renewing the rear wheel bearings on my BMW Difazio project. When the hub is worn it looks like a real nasty of a job to insert the RH taper cup down inside the tunnel after heating the hub. I have the bearings an infra red temp gun some special locktite to wick up the sides and a tool to insert the gubbins but I am very loath to do it -very out of character!:(
let alone sorting the preload though I have read about Heath Robinson arrangements of string and spring balances and stuff :eek:
No doubt about it, the Phils had it sorted years before
Hi Tim, I was in Frome last weekend and walked past the old Difazio shop, is that where you found your bike, I remember seeing one in there a few years ago?

I think lots of heat is the answer Tim. You should be able to drop the cup in and tap it into place. Locktite not required unless it is a loose fit.
Re: the preload, realistically if you just make sure there is enough nip to only just feel the resistance rotating the wheel you will be OK.
Good luck! Bill

vibrac

VOC Member
Hi Tim, I was in Frome last weekend and walked past the old Difazio shop, is that where you found your bike, I remember seeing one in there a few years ago?

I think lots of heat is the answer Tim. You should be able to drop the cup in and tap it into place. Locktite not required unless it is a loose fit.
Re: the preload, realistically if you just make sure there is enough nip to only just feel the resistance rotating the wheel you will be OK.
Good luck! Bill
No I found it in a leaking shed were it had mouldered for twenty years, apart from my courage the main drag is the cost of BMW parts, but at least the front hub is done and the frame is painted -but hells teeth its an ugly beast!