Perfidious Albion

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
(Not really but its a good quote.)
I have a 4 speed Albion installed in my Replica Flash I am wondering what is the best lubricant? Something seems to say this is not an oil box so I am leaning to wards Penright semi fluid filling. The only orifice seems to be that under the clutch operating arm thats prety low down which also indicates oil/grease.
I put the whole shebang together about a year and a half ago with just assembly grease as I knew it was not for use untill 14 and I had plenty of time to ask the question. (Of course now I have my parade licence and still don't know) is it normally fill on assembly or will that low down orifice suffice?

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
I used an Albion on my Replica Flash as well. I don't think it was the same box as yours. I was told to use a mixture of 50/50 oil and grease on assembly.
This is how I remember it, not gospel so don't take it to the bank.

craig

VOC Member
I would recommend Castrol Lithium HD #000
I have successfully used it for 8000 miles in Comet Burman boxes.
I did mix my own oil and grease for a short time, messy and never looked fully mixed for me.
ladle Castrol 000 into a plastic bag, cut corner off bag, squeeze into gearbox.
On a hot day #000 will pour into gearbox, but it is a waste of time........plastic bag.
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/b...STAGING/local_assets/downloads/0-999/5613.pdf

davidd

VOC Member
I continued to use the oil that was being used by the previous owner of the Flash which was....Castrol R!. Carleton used gear lube and when I put the bike back to original I changed to gear lube to avoid the growth issues with R.

David

Dingocooke

Non-VOC Member
I used to run a Sturmey Archer box on my '23 tuned side valve 490cc flat tanker (a 90mph bike), and tried a few things, but the best was non sulphur/phosphor hypoid grease, which the NCB used to use in underground gearboxes; not sure if you can buy it now, but it was wonderful stuff. You can buy corn head grease from any John Deere dealer, which is very similar, and has modern EP additives.
In reality anything will do, mix of oil and grease is a favourite for old Sturmey' s, just avoid any hypoid that has Phosphour or Sulphur in it, which will dissolve any brass/bronze it comes into contact with.
You wouldn't go far wrong with Castrol R40, Honda used it in the Grand prix 500 two stroke NSR500's because of the high film strength, but it is a bit like glue after a season or three.

I suppose everyone knows the Titch Allen candle bodge for stopping oil primary covers from leaking?

davidd

VOC Member
Because of the steel on steel design of the Albion gears, I would be very careful about using grease. The gears are not EN36 either.

David

vibrac

VOC Member
Well Once 'R' had been mentioned the contest is a bit like me on a 125cc Bantam against Jeremy Clarkson across London in whatever tin box he would like to try (No wonder the bike hater left motorcycles out of that particular contest, Sorry I digress). Yes I think R40 will do very nicely I have some as I have moved to R30 for the Alphbet Road twin and the 500 racers nowadays

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Dingocooke, they still use the same grease in pit gearboxes and I use it in my early norton box it is designated EPILITH OO and is supplied by several companies. For those who have never come across it it is a semi-fluid grease and is very very sticky.
Chris