Oil Leak (again)

Bob P

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have finally found my oil leak, it only leaks when the oil is warm.
The oil return boss on the underside of the UFM is dented in and is leaking around the outside.
What is the best fix. Silver solder or easyflo?
IMG_0937.JPG

Thanks
Bob

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Silver solder needs a lower temperature but there is already braze there from the original manufacture. I would get it brazed but be prepared to have to run a tap through the hole afterwards to clean up the thread. If you really do not want to get it hot then epoxy with a filler such as colloidal silica would also do but you have to get the whole area very clean first. Congratulations, and condolences, on finding a difficult leak

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Silver solder needs a lower temperature but there is already braze there from the original manufacture. I would get it brazed but be prepared to have to run a tap through the hole afterwards to clean up the thread. If you really do not want to get it hot then epoxy with a filler such as colloidal silica would also do but you have to get the whole area very clean first. Congratulations, and condolences, on finding a difficult leak
I had an almost identical leak with my Comet. The UFM had been powder coated by a prior owner and it was a bugger to find the leak as the oil was "tracking" under the powder coating an appearing where ever there was a powder coat pin hole.

I removed a large area of powder coat from around the UFM fittings (all of them, not just the ones leaking) and also obtained a "Conways" inspection hatch. I then had the whole lot re-braised - just in case some of the apparently non leakers had a weakness and the "Conways" braised in place as well. After that I had the UFM stripped, cleaned internally and finally, repainted.

After the braising and painting you will need to clean up all of the threads.

passenger0_0

Non-VOC Member
Given the boss seems to be proud, could you not use a smooth file and carefully draw file the face to get it flat?

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I think Bob means it is leaking around the outside of the boss, not across the face. I assume the UFM is already off, so I would do a thorough job, strip, clean, re-braze, clean thoroughly inside and re-paint. Should be done and back on by next weekend.
Chris.