Misc: Everything Else Norvin Twin Build

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Greg Brillus is building a Twin Norvin. This is probably more of a rebuild as this bike is already known to us as the Norvin that caught fire at Eastern Creek Race Track last year. I am glad to see it being repaired!

20171013_155515.jpg

20171013_155524.jpg

20171013_155538 - Copy.jpg

20171013_155600 - Copy.jpg

David

greg brillus

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yes so this was the bike that I had to do some emergency surgery on last year before we took it with us to Eastern Creek in Sydney. It had seized the rear cam to the spindle, and then the gear spun on the cam, and the front cam and followers had gone blue with heat. Then once we got down there and Tom the owner took it for a blast around the track at Lunch time, it caught fire on its second lap .......So here it is delivered to me in bits with the frame, swing arm, and rear seat frames all repainted, but all the other parts are still covered in black soot and residue from the fire extinguisher powder. Initially I had thought that one of the banjo's to one of the Delorto's had snapped off dumping fuel over the rear of the machine, but looking at the parts I have found that on one of the Pingel fuel taps, the brass inlet fitting that is pressed into the tap body has come out. I am not sure if there was too much strain on the pipe to cause this, but the whole fuel system will be revised and kept as simple as possible to avoid this disaster from reoccurring. The engine seemed to be smoking a blue oil color when we fired it up at the track, and it was suggested I strip the engine and go through it, remembering this engine was a complete rebuild with a new crank/rods and a pair of Terry's 6oo top end kits. I have since stripped the engine and it would appear that on the rear head there is a hole passing through from the rocker tunnel into the exhaust port. It shows evidence of being welded up and ground back, but the repair looks messy and if I shine a strong light into the rocker tunnel you can see light in the exhaust port. So let the repairs begin........Should get the engine back together quite quickly, bit I have found several things that need attention, and I want to modify the oil system to improve feed to the cams/followers as much as I can. Those with a keen eye will notice the front wheel and the fabulous 250 mm Magnesium Fontana front brake which is not legal here for that class of racing, but it is staying on the bike for now. It also has a TT industries gearbox, and a Bob Newby 40 mm belt drive and clutch. The chopped cases are actually later die cast ones, and running standard mains and a two start pump. Any interest and comments welcomed, cheers for now....................Greg.