H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Norvin - Brakes

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Robinson 4ls was notoriously weak, Fontana had a good reputation.
I looked on line for Fontana and Ceriani 4ls brakes. There's a company called DiscoVolante who offer replica brakes. You can pay UK 948 inc VAT for an alloy 230mm Ceriani, up to UK 2270 for a 250mm Fontana. (No 'pound' sign on my Mac).
Wasn't it a 230mm Ceriani which Greg Brillus fitted to his racer? I'm wondering if that would make a good choice for a road twin
Paul

greg brillus

VOC Member
The 230mm Ceriani is a good size brake, they come with either magnesium or aluminium side plates........although the mag ones are hard to get at present as some of the casting foundries have been closed. I like the Ceriani on account of the large air scoops, the Fontana is probably the best of any of these brakes but they are also full magnesium and very expensive. The 2 places to get them at the best prices are caferacersuspension, and Jim Lomas at JL exhausts these both specialize in aftermarket parts for race bikes and cafe racer projects. These guy's sell replica brakes from Ceriani, Robinson, Honda, Yamaha TZ style brakes. I am running one of the Ceriani 230 Magnesium brakes on my current Norvin racer (large single) and it works really well, obviously the heavier the bike, the brake may fade with heavy use.......how may riders push their road bikes that hard........ these four leading shoe brakes work well.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
A lot of Patrick's Eglis are fitted with 230mm brakes. I reckon that makes a reccomendation. He reckoned that the 250mm were a bit too much for the road. I guess i'll find out as I have just finished fitting a 250 to the norvin. By the way, it is not a quick bolt-on job.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Indeed it does Roy.
Its a charm. From first hand i can say so.

I guess they come from Andy Molnar.
I thought he makes a 230 all by himself.

I have bought his last Vinnie casing.
I don't really know yet.
But looking at some diameters and the way its been machined.
Fabulous, really.
One word.

And nowadays one says, sorry dear mr censoring, for going half off topic....

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I have a Manx look alike in mine, it is a Triumph conical hub with the radial fins machined off and a finned ring shrunk on, an alloy copy of a Manx brakeplate with Triumph 2ls shoes (the floating cast iron full width hub type) with linings by Classic Brake Services many years ago, but I must admit I've never really had to do an emergency stop with it.

highbury731

VOC Member
That late '60s BSA / Triumph 2ls is a really nice brake - I fitted one to a BSA Super Rocket. I am informed that the brake plate fits easily into an alloy Norton hub shell but must be rather more work to make it fit a Norton fork. I suspect it isn't enough for a Vincent. Two of them in the front wheel would be good.....
Indeed it does Roy.
Its a charm. From first hand i can say so.

I guess they come from Andy Molnar.
I thought he makes a 230 all by himself.

I have bought his last Vinnie casing.
I don't really know yet.
But looking at some diameters and the way its been machined.
Fabulous, really.
One word.

And nowadays one says, sorry dear mr censoring, for going half off topic....
If you are fitting a Ceriani 230, I suppose we may expect to see some specially-cast or CNC brake plates with bosses to fit the Girdraulic?
Paul