C: Clutch Norton clutch conversion adjustment to stop slipping under load

Vincent Brake

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
allthough bit a curse, (not that the system here blocks it) Maybe use H.D. primary chaincase oil...

wash it all before it goes in, as it doesnt mix with any vincent Oil and v.v.
:p

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
It seems like a lot of hassle to get what is an inadequate clutch working with a bike that it was not designed for, as Bill said earlier in this post, and I agree, the Standard Vincent clutch, when properly set up and oil free is the only clutch that you will ever need, it will let you know when it needs attention, but as long as you keep the oil out of the clutch compartment it should be good for many thousands of trouble free miles, it does not seem that the same can be said for some, maybe all of the multiplate conversions

John Appleton

VOC Member
It seems like a lot of hassle to get what is an inadequate clutch working with a bike that it was not designed for, as Bill said earlier in this post, and I agree, the Standard Vincent clutch, when properly set up and oil free is the only clutch that you will ever need, it will let you know when it needs attention, but as long as you keep the oil out of the clutch compartment it should be good for many thousands of trouble free miles, it does not seem that the same can be said for some, maybe all of the multiplate conversions
how right you are. Both Pete and I had the British made multiplate clutches, and both of them now live at the back of a shelf as a reminder of unnecessary and inadequate modifications. Both bikes are back on standard clutches, and have been for many thousands of trouble-free miles. john.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
how right you are. Both Pete and I had the British made multiplate clutches, and both of them now live at the back of a shelf as a reminder of unnecessary and inadequate modifications. Both bikes are back on standard clutches, and have been for many thousands of trouble-free miles. john.
Echoing Peter Holmes and John Appleton's experience I started out with a multiplate clutch on my Rapide but started to have problems with it. I then fitted the standard Vincent clutch and have to say that it is a much better unit. It would unfair to say that I had no problems with the standard clutch. One problem was an inadequate oil seal/seals and also having to gain some understanding as to how the clutch works so that I could be adjusted properly. The oil problem seal problem manifested itself on a visit to Dolgellau in Wales but I was still able to make the 130 mile trip home using just the primary clutch, albeit at a reduced speed of 50 - 55 mph. I have probably put over 40,000 miles on the standard Vincent clutch and I'm still using the old clutch shoes that came in the basket case. Maybe I should treat it to some new shoes. ;)

timetraveller

VOC Member
If you had installed the 'o' ring mod at the inward end of the splined tube which is part of the shoe carrier, I have mentioned this on here before, there would not have had an oil problem. Fitting the needle roller thrust race I designed to ensure that the outer plate lifts straight, available from the Spares Company, also improves the standard clutch. They just bought 12 off me so they are in stock.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
In the late 80s, I was at a Rally, In one corner of the tent they were pushing the new type Multi, In the other corner, Don Alexander and me were looking for some old bits to make up a Standard Clutch, For my L/ning rep, After I had just packed up Racing.
They were laughing at me, Saying I was Perverse !, As if ?.
I could have been talked into a new Multi, But money was short, As Always.
The thing I keep coming back to, Is the Vin' lever was only ment to lift the one friction plate.
Cheers Bill.

John Appleton

VOC Member
In the late 80s, I was at a Rally, In one corner of the tent they were pushing the new type Multi, In the other corner, Don Alexander and me were looking for some old bits to make up a Standard Clutch, For my L/ning rep, After I had just packed up Racing.
They were laughing at me, Saying I was Perverse !, As if ?.
I could have been talked into a new Multi, But money was short, As Always.
The thing I keep coming back to, Is the Vin' lever was only ment to lift the one friction plate.
Cheers Bill.
I fitted a multi and took it off to Austria on it's maiden voyage. Got as far as Arras and one of the spring pedestals came unscrewed from the hub and exited through the clutch dome, complete with spring,bolt and cap. This lot tied itself up with the brake pedal and hauled the rear brake on and jammed it there. I managed to ride it to a standstill but I don't know who was shaking the most, me or the German driver of a Mercedes that I was passing. We both stood there admiring the mess and trying to calm down. I completed the trip less one spring, and with a large hole in the dome. If you look at my bike, the large hole is still there filled with an alloy blanking plate. Other than this it mattered not if the clutch ran dry or in oil. It would still at times emit a loud shrieking noise on pull away, startle pedestrians, and grab like bu...ery. It is going to stay on that shelf.

gibbin82

Forum User
VOC Member
Thank you all again, not had a chance to test it yet (work and weather stopping play), but I am hopeful it will be ok. The plate was not lifting equally so I have tightened up the looser screws to match the tightest and also applied a little more tension. The clutch is quite clean and dry, so it is not oil on the plates. Should I still have trouble I will replace the friction plates and springs.

Regarding clutch conversions which do you consider the best, should I consider changing it. I see that the Owner Club shop does one and Coventry Spares, has anyone got any experience of knowledge of these?

John Appleton

VOC Member
Thank you all again, not had a chance to test it yet (work and weather stopping play), but I am hopeful it will be ok. The plate was not lifting equally so I have tightened up the looser screws to match the tightest and also applied a little more tension. The clutch is quite clean and dry, so it is not oil on the plates. Should I still have trouble I will replace the friction plates and springs.

Regarding clutch conversions which do you consider the best, should I consider changing it. I see that the Owner Club shop does one and Coventry Spares, has anyone got any experience of knowledge of these?
See my post above!!! John.