H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Never too old to learn

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Rebuilding my Shadow has thrown a few curly ones up. The latest was the rear hub. The original had a large crack that had been "fixed" by shrinking a sleeve onto it. New hub ordered. The bearings were an odd mixture of thin and thick bearings plus spacers so new bearings ordered. Hollow axle doesn't fit through new bearings?! Hollow axle turns out to be metric. This is a 1949 machine so shouldn't have metric parts; but it did. New hollow axle ordered. Measure everything, TWICE. We live and learn.

vibrac

VOC Member
You can tell a metric bearing requirement by the slight change of diameter before the shoulder on the hollow spindle. It must have been a refit or new wheels as the Korean War only started in 1950 (the "crazy Asian war" of the Ruby song) and that was the reason for the metric period unless it was a late 49 bike and the chrome shortage had already started. The war lasted till 53 (some say its still going on) my 52 Triumph Trophy does not have a chrome tank a fact I am repeatedly telling rivet counters who see my silver painted tank (Yes even I have one standard bike ;))

Sakura

Non-VOC Member
You can tell a metric bearing requirement by the slight change of diameter before the shoulder on the hollow spindle. It must have been a refit or new wheels as the Korean War only started in 1950 (the "crazy Asian war" of the Ruby song) and that was the reason for the metric period unless it was a late 49 bike and the chrome shortage had already started. The war lasted till 53 (some say its still going on) my 52 Triumph Trophy does not have a chrome tank a fact I am repeatedly telling rivet counters who see my silver painted tank (Yes even I have one standard bike ;))
More generally assumed to be the Vietnam war, although as it was released in 1967 it would be a bit early for that but late for Korea?

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
Originally written by Mel Tillis for Johnny Darrell about a WWII vet who lived next door to his family in Florida. In real life the vet was wounded in Germany and married a nurse that took care of him. They moved to Florida but reoccurring issues with his wounds had him in and out of hospital. She went astray and saw another man. The real ending of the story is a murder suicide. Tillis changed the actual ending and conflict. It was originally released in 1967 and Kenny Rogers did a cover of it in 1969.
Steven