PR: Proprietary Items Miller Stop Lamp attachment screws

Texas John

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Can someone please tell me what are the proper screws, nuts, and washers to attach the Miller Stop Lamp (PR19) to the Rear Number Plate Bracket (PR27)? I assume the quantity is 6 based upon the number of holes present in each. These screws do not seem to be shown in the parts diagrams, MO36 or MO37.
Vincent is a 1948 Series B Rapide.
Thank you.

davidd

VOC Member
John,

It is covered in the Obscure Components articles, which you have. The quantity of screws is three to attach it to the plate holder. Three holes are open I believe.

David

greg brillus

VOC Member
Counter sunk 4 BA slotted screws with flat, and spring washers, with a plain 4 BA nut on each. One at the top and the others at the 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock positions, screws are only about 3/8 th of an inch long. Make sure the tailight assembly can earth to the number plate bracket unless you run a separate earth which was not standard. Cheers...........Greg.

Texas John

Non-VOC Member
David, Right you are and I should have thought to look there.
Greg, - Thank you for the additional details.
One of the weaknesses of British Motorcycle's Electrical Systems in general was poor grounding.
They should have run a ground wire to just about everything not attached directly to the engine.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Especially on 6v, though Vincents aren't so bad with bare metal mudguards.
I picked up a good idea from a friend, he drills and taps the inner end of one of his headlamp mounting bolts to take an allen screw and uses this as an earthing point with a wire back to the UFM, no chocolate block or multi connectors there.
Chris.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Especially on 6v, though Vincents aren't so bad with bare metal mudguards.
I picked up a good idea from a friend, he drills and taps the inner end of one of his headlamp mounting bolts to take an allen screw and uses this as an earthing point with a wire back to the UFM, no chocolate block or multi connectors there.
Chris.
This lack of earthing was possibly the reason for the "ugly" serrated washers PR18V which were fitted on the headlamp mounting bolts but are absent from many restorations. Still a bugger of an earth path through the head races though, I suppose. An extra wire is a wise stratagem.

greg brillus

VOC Member
In reality there were no motorcycles apart from Japanese even up to the late 70's for all British and most European makes who's electrics were what we would now call very poor. It took manufacturers a long time to work out how to make descent connectors, most all British and American manufacturers did not realise the importance of good "Earth" points. I generally make up my own looms and include both a positive and negative feed from the battery right up to the headlight assembly, plus wires for the charge output (to the ammeter), taillight, horn, and two extra for rear indicators if they are asked for. I also run small extra earth wires out to the horn button and the dip/kill switch, as I don't like relying on these forming their own earth through the handlebars. I run fuses either in the Dummy battery box with the battery, and/or in the headlight shell. It's amazing how 5 or 6 wires can scare the "Toughest of men"..................:eek:

tatty500

Non-VOC Member
This lack of earthing was possibly the reason for the "ugly" serrated washers PR18V which were fitted on the headlamp mounting bolts but are absent from many restorations. Still a bugger of an earth path through the head races though, I suppose. An extra wire is a wise stratagem.
Sorry, me again.
There has always been an earth wire that runs from the spring blade (that earthed the miller reflector) in the headlamp to the 1/4 bolt at the back of the UFM. It is shown in the wiring diagram in all the books.
Tatty.

Albervin

VOC Member
My newly acquired Shadow has more earth wires than I can count. If they were black I wouldn't complain but most are yellow. I will certainly be using more than standard and thicker too. In BLACK.