Misc: Charging Systems Miller D6 Dynamo Brushes

eharris

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello all,

Can anyone suggest a source of brushes for the Miller D6 dynamo? I can find ones for Lucas (large and small), but the quoted size doesn't seem to match that of the ones in the Miller.

I can see a reference to PR24/1E in an old thread, but they are no longer listed at the Spares Co. and Dave Lindsley has retired.

Cheers,

Ed.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Last time I needed some for a Miller I just bought Lucas brushes and filed them down to fit the Miller brush holder. Worked fine for thousands of miles since.
Just beware some after market brushes are made from the wrong grade of material which can smear on the commutator and and so it needs regular cleaning, but how you tell when buying I don't know and I guess I was just lucky. Sorry it was a few years ago when I bought them and so I cannot remember from where.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Same I had some lucas brushes which were a close ish match and filled then down.
Worked grand and still working, the ones I used where very old stock.
Al

oexing

VOC Member
Yes, there are a few grades of graphite to select for the purpose. Too hard and the slip ring may be scored dramatically, too soft and you´d get a coat of graphite all around the slip ring and only one cylinder fires then, in a magneto.
Here just try with a scraper for hardness of brushes and maybe better have a sheet of abrasive on the bench for sizing Lucas brushes. Could be better controlled than having a file for the job. For perfect fit get a finer grade of abrasive and some finger skill , not very critical.

Vic

eharris

VOC Member
Just for your amusement, the last time I came to do this job, I opened the little tabacco tin marked “brushes” and there on top was a pair of Miller brushes. I had recently inherited the tin from my step dad and I am quite sure that he hadn’t bought them any time in the last forty years!

Unfortunately there seems to have been only one pair.

Chris. S

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Ed. I have a NOS pair of Miller D6 dynamo brushes. They are yours for £5, plus postage. If you want them PM me your address. Cheers, Chris.
IMG_1021.jpg