C: Clutch Lathe and Fixture for Clutch Shoes.

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hey Team,

I thought I would share my journey into lathe ownership and operation. My dad had a good size engineering business, unfortunately I did not get into the workshop nearly enough as a young man and now want to learn.

I had a flogged out clutch shoe and set up on the face plate for a boring operation to make room for a bush to bring it back to size. I am attaching some photos and I am sure you engineering buffs will tell me I have fluffed up but it worked out just fine.

My little shop lathe is a 1947 southbend clone made in Australia by Hercus. It has a 3phase motor, VFD with digital rpm readout. I am running a Chinese multi fix tool post clone and it transformed the lathe.

A6BB4745-C3AE-4085-8C6A-BCFA1B5E8E0C.jpeg
47F5B65E-FB93-4A6F-AEB9-2A8EBE741A97.jpeg
0DEF25A4-5D2B-459B-BACD-3C7E1A257125.jpeg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Gene my handsome, nice lathe and looks large enough to do most jobs on a Vincent. "V" bedded giving extra accuracy with gearbox so easier for cutting threads instead of changing gears. Whilst getting two "A" twins ready at Bill Buckley's in Scots speed shop I was very grateful that they had a decent lathe at my disposal, then attended the annual Rally & AGM in 2018 then caught the ferry to South Island and did my usual full tour down the east side then up the west side, great country for touring.

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Gene my handsome, nice lathe and looks large enough to do most jobs on a Vincent. "V" bedded giving extra accuracy with gearbox so easier for cutting threads instead of changing gears. Whilst getting two "A" twins ready at Bill Buckley's in Scots speed shop I was very grateful that they had a decent lathe at my disposal, then attended the annual Rally & AGM in 2018 then caught the ferry to South Island and did my usual full tour down the east side then up the west side, great country for touring.
Marcus,

I have heard Bill's shop is hallowed ground. The New Zealand terrain is beautiful for riding that’s for sure. I did about 120miles a few Saturday’s ago around the coromandel and loved every minute of it.

Gene.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Did you visit Alice Leney around the coromandel that is an interesting set up he lives in and an open air bath that he heats up with a fire under it Brother Harvey burnt his ass as the liner hadn't been put in !! also an interesting bike collection.!