Misc: Everything Else Irving Vincent gearbox

highbury731

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone have conversion parts, or details of exactly what John McDougall did to modify his gearbox? It may be possible to deepen the cam-plate notches somewhat, but there appears to be limited clearance for a long-travel index plunger.

The AMC-Norton gearbox uses semi-circular lobes instead of relying on simple notches on the perimeter of the cam plate. It also needs a long-travel index plunger. I hear that earlier Norton boxes can be modified to take the AMC camplate, you have to machine the casing on the inside for clearance.

The Norton box has a lot of history in it. The Sturmey Archer motorcycle racing 3 speed of the twenties had ratios 1:1, 1:1.33, 1:1.78. (The Manx Norton kept these ratios to the end, with the addition of an extra gear below top, of 1:1.1). Those gear ratios are exactly the same as the classic Sturmey Archer 3-speed bicycle hub gear of the '20s to the present, from K series, through AW in its many iterations. I have not got the figures to hand, but if my memory is correct that second is 24:18 teeth, then the AMC1 box of the late '50s has these exact same ratios but with a 2.7:1 first gear.