Misc: Everything Else Irving Vincent gearbox

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Reading the Classic bike article on the Irving Vincent I noticed something tucked away in the print, that was that they use a RD350LC selector mechanism. now thats a neat idea......
If I counted the hours spent with minute adjustments to get the Vincent selector to get to 90% racing efficiency :mad:

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
That sounds simple enough when it "just slots in." The Irving Vincent people have lots of machinery and the skills to put them to good use on their race machines. Perhaps they will produce a conversion kit.;)

Chris Launders

VOC Member
The Yamaha is a barrel change so nothing like the Vincent camplate and would have to go in in front or behind the cluster between the two shafts.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I believe that I've seen a photo of the Horner cluster (maybe on this Forum) and it has a drum shifter.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
The Vincent mechanism works very well with the Quaife gear set and camplate. I've yet to miss a shift with this setup and it can be shifted very fast, unlike the stock box.
John McDougall figured that the slow shifting/ bad shifting with the stock box was due to the camplate shape.
He modified the stock camplate to Norton/AMC shape. This worked well, the bike shifted fast and precisely, like a Norton does.
The very large number of parts that make up the Vincent selector mechanism does seem like an overcomplication, however it does all work nicely once the camplate shape is corrected.
On the other hand, the AMC box manages to do the exact same thing with a just a few cleverly designed components.
The compact little AMC box is a thing of beauty and mechanical simplicity. The original design of the box goes back to Sturmey Archer in the 1920s.
It was designed for bikes with perhaps 15 HP. With very little strengthening worked fine right up to 60 HP of the 850 Commando.

Glen