Misc: Everything Else Headlight Sizes for Series ‘B’ and ‘C’s

Gene Nehring

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The rest of us just have to read all the books and make educated guesses from years of research. :D
Your data base from all the build sheets really allows you to develop good information quickly without going through several thousand documents.

Jim Bush

VOC Member
My 49 Rapide carries a small Miller headlight, I am assuming is the 6 1/2" variety talked about - but the chrome bezel carries a regular 7" headlight - looks to be an adapter? Is that correct?

Attachments

• headlight.jpg
    headlight.jpg
    463.6 KB · Views: 16

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
USA import requirements was that sealed beam headlight lens were a requirement in the late 1940's & 1950's. Miller didn't make a sealed beam lens at 6.5" size so Vincent fitted a conversion rim and 7" sealed beam unit to all bikes that were exported to USA from 1949 onwards. So your bike may be correct Jim.

UK sold bikes used the 6.5" headlight lens but some owners did later on fit conversion rims themselves so they could use the more commonly available 7" glass units used by other manufacturers.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
UK sold bikes used the 6.5" headlight lens but some owners did later on fit conversion rims themselves so they could use the more commonly available 7" glass units used by other manufacturers.
I have one of the 6.5" to 7" converter rims fitted to my Rapide. There are plenty of good 7" light units to choose. I got a Wipac H4 unit that gives a really good beam.

Gene Nehring

VOC Member
Thanks Simon. I was misinterpreting the dates. Bother, I shall stick with my 8 inch lamp as I strongly feel they look proper on Brampton forks.
My 49 Rapide carries a small Miller headlight, I am assuming is the 6 1/2" variety talked about - but the chrome bezel carries a regular 7" headlight - looks to be an adapter? Is that correct?
Hi Jim,

Two different variant rims as well. Most American type rims for the conversion I have seen have a spilt type chrome bezel (take a look at guys b black shadow headlight) yours has a more traditional style clip bezel set up. Interesting how many little variants there are.

Gene.

Bobv07662

VOC Member
Thank you Simon for your explanations of the factory sheets.
Having a 11/49 British spec C Rapide here in the States has only presented me with one challenge... sourcing a 6.5 Miller reflector and lens to replace the incorrect but nice Lucas assembly that I have now.
Anyone have a suggestion?
I did pass up a complete NOS headlamp assy at the North American Rally in Morgantown last year. Seemed like the right thing to do at the time. (It wasn't in retrospect.)

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
i bought a 6 1/2" reflector from Paul Goff and a replica Miller lens from Eurobrit. The lenses are available elsewhere. I now have a good B.P.F 12 volt 60/55 w. bulb which makes my bike good to ride at night. Goffy also sells lenses, but they are "cat's eye" pattern.