Misc: Everything Else Galvanic Corrosion

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Normlly I dont worry about the corrosion between alloy and stainless grease is what I normally use but I have a application that I shall hopefully never remove and I was looking for a compound that can prevent the above corrosion there seems to be a few compounds around but mainly for the rag and stick brigade, (sail boats) and they need a pots of the expensive stuff and I just need a little tube so has anyone any ideas what is available in small amounts in the UK?

stu spalding

VOC Member
Hi Tim,
This maybe isn't useful for a lot of applications but to prevent corrosion between a S/S mudguard and the ally hinge I sandwiched a bit of thin plastic. Cheers, Stu.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Spray on rubberized automotive undercoating works well as a barrier on the stainless mud guard strips. It can be bought in spray bombs.

Dave61

Non-VOC Member
Hi Tim,
ACF 50 is good stuff & I also got a tube of Corrosion Block grease when I bought mine.
Cheers
Dave

Attachments

• 20220418_131009.jpg
    20220418_131009.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 4

oexing

VOC Member
You guys ride your classics in winter times, on salty roads - or go swimming at the beach ?? I never worried much about that problem with galvanic corrosion of different materials. In these salt conditions you get corrosion all over the bikes, not just in threads, so a big No for me to get the bike out. Did that when I was very young and no mercy for the bike - which was not a classic yet in that time. So I would not worry much about corrosion troubles today.

Vic

Alyson

VOC Member
I have used bituminus paint when using dissimilar metals in contact to prevent galvanic reaction. I've not used anything in the plug holes, but I do use Castrol Optimoly paste that I buy when I'm in Berlin as I've not seen it around these parts. I apply it with my favourite tooth brush ;) works a charm