C: Clutch G94

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I see my photo only shows a single pushrod ?,
Vincents changed to 2 rods with a ball bearing in the middle ?,
To stop or help stop the rod grinding into G91 ?.
A common modification, and probably Bill too is to use a 1/4" diameter roller rather than a 1/4" ball bearing.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
From the end of the thick bit that stops it going through the alloy plate,
1.5/16" or 33.5 mm ?, So allow for thickness of the alloy plate,
Never known of one wearing through the alloy plate, Unless it was made under size ?.

Look at the shape of the lower bit of G91 Should be curved but often the rod has worn into it a bit ?.

Maybe now is the time to talk about the Timetraveller mod' ? ,
Nice little needle roller thrust under the outer clutch plate, To help keep the plate square on lift ?.
Also I use copperslip as a lube, Not too much !.

Attachments

• IMG_20221007_070625.jpg
    IMG_20221007_070625.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 21
  • 831_THRUST_PLUG_-_BEARING_MOD_thumb.jpg
    831_THRUST_PLUG_-_BEARING_MOD_thumb.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 21

phsDommie

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I had initially thought of the push-rod being the culprit, but my measurement (with 1/4" ball bearing in between two lengths) was as described in Paul Richardson's book - i.e. 12 5/16" so looked for other possibilities and suspected my G94. On disassembly, however, I see that two things are happening as suspected by you more experienced gentlemen. The rods have become significantly dimpled where the ball bearing interfaces but, even more so, the lever G91 is indeed grinding away quite significantly.
I will replace rods (perhaps using a roller as suggested by Bill Thomas) and the G91. Just to clarify, TimeTraveler, the wear was rapid but did not occur in only one run.
Thank you all very much for your kind help.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think the G91 is stelite welded for hardness ?, Where it touches the pushrod ?,
Also the ends of the pushrods should be hardened ?,
I had this trouble 40 or 50 years ago, But not had it again, Strange !,
I wonder if there was some soft ones around in the old days,
But with a bit of Copperslip and the 1/4" roller it's been fine,
The Vincent Clutch should be light ?, And I try not to leave it in gear at traffic Lights,
Also now the mod' I showed you with needle rollers should make even less friction ?,
A case of lots of small things ? To improve the ride.
Good Luck, Bill.

phsDommie

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thank you, Bill. The stellite hardening on my G91 appears to have ground away. I have always been happy with the Vincent clutch and have never felt the need to switch to a multi-plate set up, for example. When working well, the clutch pull is indeed very light. Despite the safety related advice to keep the bike in gear and the clutch pulled in, I have never done that with my old bikes.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Just to keep you informed ,
Your Dan Smith thinks the ball is still the right way to go ?,
So lots of different thought on this Forum,
Up to you which way you want to go.
Cheers Bill.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
The ball in my Rapide has only done around 120K miles so can't really pass definitive judgement on it yet. Oil hardening drill rod with all ends hardened and slightly tempered after. and a small gob of stellite on the lever, suitably dressed after. I am not sure this was done at the factory. I have done a couple. If you are seeing wear it is likely not stellite.