C: Clutch G94

phsDommie

Active Forum User
VOC Member
This may seem an odd question, but I would like to know, please, how far the clutch cable abutment (G94) should protrude (intrude?) into the outer gearbox space. Mine tends to migrate further and further in with use, therefore providing less and less cable travel and, ultimately, clutch drag. Yesterday, I found myself pulling on the lever to disengage the clutch so hard that I pulled the nipple off and was clutch-less in heavy traffic.

ClassicBiker

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That is an issue as there is a shoulder on G94 that butts against G50 to locate it. I know I've located a couple of 3/8 washers between the G94 and G50 to gain a bit more lift of the pressure plate. I found that G91 tended to pull right up to G94. I also have ET27/2SS and G91/1, but then again I'm running a home made multi-plate clutch and want/need a bit more lift.
But back to your original statement about G94 migrating into the outer gearbox space. It is essentially pinched between the G50 and the outer casing of the clutch cable, so should not be able to move.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
All the way in, Just the small ridge stops it from going right through the alloy plate,
When the clutch is pulled in, The lever should be close but not touching the end.
Some people have been known to use the cable stop from the valve lifter,
But the cable would have to be altered.

Attachments

• MO25.gif
    MO25.gif
    109.5 KB · Views: 23

phsDommie

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks to both of you. I realize G94 is not supposed to migrate anywhere, so i wonder if I have a part from another bike. Bill, I do/did adjust the cable exactly as in Richardson's book, with the lever just up to the abutment. I have wonderful clutch action for a while, with the hand lever pulling back to the handlebar grip, but with time, the same lever comes to a stop further and further away from the grip. The cable was quite new and does not bind. Strange.

phsDommie

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'd still like to know, if possible, the measurement (length) of the portion of G94 that is in the outer case, please. That'll help me work out what is happening in my case.
Thanks.

timetraveller

VOC Member
When the lever comes to a stop away from the handlebar grip is it the G94 which is stopping the movement or something else?

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I wonder if it's the old problem of the pushrods in the shaft wearing or
the ball bearing between the rods breaking up ?,
I always use a 1/4" by 1/4" roller instead of a ball bearing,
Also the bottom of the lever wears and the pushrod grinds into it at the bottom,
Inside the outer cover, Lever G91.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Yes, that is what I was wondering. That is why I asked whether he is sure that the lever is coming up against the G94. For it to run out of adjustment on one run sounds to me as though something is either wearing rapidly or coming undone.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I see my photo only shows a single pushrod ?,
Vincents changed to 2 rods with a ball bearing in the middle ?,
To stop or help stop the rod grinding into G91 ?.