H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Front Brake Outrigger Plate conversion

Malcolm winder

New Forum User
VOC Member
Hi
Just thinking about fitting the front brake outrigger plate to my Rapide series C. I wondered if anyone has positive or negative experience on this success of carrying out this mod ?
Cheers

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Same here , But not sure it does much ?,
I had more luck holding the brakes on while doing up the front spindle,
But you need a thin spanner for the brake nuts, Or alloy Brake Plates.

Malcolm winder

New Forum User
VOC Member
Same here , But not sure it does much ?,
I had more luck holding the brakes on while doing up the front spindle,
But you need a thin spanner for the brake nuts, Or alloy Brake Plates.
Thanks for that. I’m happy with the anchors but anything that might make the lever response more positive has got my attention.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I think they look nice .

Attachments

• DSCN5736.JPG
    DSCN5736.JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 26

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Much the same result can be obtained more subtly by making the FF32 bridge plate in thicker alloy, say 1/4" with milled pockets for the padbolt nuts and then making a revised F56 bush in a top hat form. Then you only have to rid yourself of flexure and lost motion in the handlebar lever and perch, the long cable, the cam sleeve, the brake plates, pivot pins and the shoes. Then, for a brief and happy moment you will have brakes as good as the 1950 road test! The Vincent pages of the Britbike Forum cover this as well.

van drenth

VOC Member
A friend of mine had a few FF32 bridge plates laser cut out in steel a few years ago and they don’t flex and when painted they look no different. Before somebody mentions the extra unsprung weight of the steel plate, it weighed less than the action of adding the outrigger setup.
I have one, stainless steel, Laser cut bought from one German Person about 30 years ago. Works very good

van Drenth JC