H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres (Front) Brake improvements

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am not sure what shoes the Club is selling. If they are Videan's shoes, they come with a Vintage Brakes VB 3000 lining bonded onto the shoe bed. Generally, a reliner will only rivet shoes if you say that you are racing. If you are racing, the reliner will expect the shoes to run up to 1000 degrees and they will insist on using glue and rivets because the glue tends to degrade at very high temperatures. Vincent brakes do not get hot enough to worry about glue degrading.

The new shoes have an Achilles heel, the H48. It is not hardened steel and it is not cast into the shoe. This means the stock H48 will deform and create a "detent" which will prevent the user from getting the shoe to press harder on the drum during a stop.

A heavy cable is good, but if it is a conventional cable it is unlikely to work well. On a Vincent, the cable housing itself does all the braking on the right-side front drum. The cable housing needs to be highly resistant to compression and the horizontally wound cables are compressible. The non-compressable cables work better because the outer housing's metal reinforcement is run longitudinally. Motion Pro makes this type of cable and they mark them "LW" for "longitudinally wound." Venhill may make them also.

Some owners have switched to two cables on the front brake which has the benefit of avoiding the use of the spongy housing on the stock cable. Others prefer stock cables. On the racer, the most recent setup is two longitudinally wound cables, one for left and one for right.

David

DucATIRadeon

Non-VOC Member
What I would like to add : Please don`t drive with upgradet ,superior brakes and standard girdraulik forks. Use the mod. steer. stem ! Even at low speeds the front wheel can loose the contact to the tarmac during braking and it can end in a kaputt bike and rider.Erik
forgive me for asking I'm very new to this stuff: what's the modified steering stem?

timetraveller

VOC Member
Look on the Vincent.org forum under bike modification, at the bottom left. I have done my best to explain it all but do ask questions if you wish. Alternatively send me your email address by PM and I will send you more details as attachments.

Chris Launders

VOC Member
forgive me for asking I'm very new to this stuff: what's the modified steering stem?
I notice the notes on the Modified Steering Stem don't actually say WHY it's a VERY good idea, for the best answer I suggest you ask timetraveller as he is the person who has the answers to hand as he supplies the stems etc.

timetraveller

VOC Member
If you go to the same source but look at the article called https://www.thevincent.org/index.ph...front-suspension-on-vincent-motorcycles.5554/ then there is a description of what the problem is with the standard set up. basically the standard geometry means that the bike rises up over the front wheel while braking hard, that increases the trail to about five inches and the bike does not want to turn into a corner. Many have never had a problem Those of us who have had a tank slapper and landed on our faces do not wish to do it again.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Without changing the thread too much, my take on it is its not so much a geometry problem, but more that the factory tried to get more suspension travel from the forks. By using longer springs it effectively jacks up the front end, thus giving more travel......and there is the problem.......you can do the exact same thing to Brampton equiped bikes by adding too much weight to the rear of the bike, this then extends the front end and it too can become unstable.......Short springs in th eGirdraulics fixes th eproblem at the expense of lost travel.......the new steering colum kit lowers the pivot point of the lower link, and this gives gives back this "Lost travel".......This should not be confused with the notion that this mod with new springs will somehow make the front end soft and more comfortable.......but it does make them behave like telescopics........the factory advertised claim that the Girdraulics were "Anti dive" was certainly correct, as under braking the front end locks up..........A total mistake that they should have realised way sooner in production.

oexing

VOC Member
My view on the Girdraulic effect is they could have designed the max extension of the shock absorber just right so that the linkage of the fork can never reach a critical "front down position" of the lower link which can lead to a freezing fork when jumping over bridges or heavy braking. This reduces travel of the fork but just in the negative direction, the overall properties will remain as before.
You cannot do same with the Bramptons as there is no component that limits the extension at heavy braking , just the hard main spring and the colliding with the headlug when the spring bends back in this case of max extension.

Vic

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Speet Brakes and Walker Steering Stem and Springs, sweet as, best money you can spend if you want to ride safe.
Worth considering is suspension an dampers I went with AVO coil over rear and front damper on my Rapide along with above rides handles, holds and stops.
I have no problem riding with my friends on modern machinery some of them can even keep up.
Al