Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Would anyone know who made these front brakes please, 7" with screw on scoops

Thanks Kerry.
P1080314.JPG

Ian Savage

VOC Vice President
VOC Member
Kerry, these have been made/sold by multiple suppliers over the decades, from Vincent themselves to the VOC Spares Co.
It is unlikely you can identify the original source.
Sorry I can't be more help.
Ian

kerry

VOC Member
Hello Ian, Thanks for the prompt reply, I have seen some different ones over the years with cast in scoops etc but don't recall these, look well made but don't work too good, maybe these need new shoes etc, I assume they are the same and SLS.
On my Shadow I have bought the 8" German TLS ones and hope to fit them soon, really nice looking quality, maybe I will have to get another set for this Knight !
Kerry.

kerry

VOC Member
Last time on my Shadow (as mentioned before) I got the shoes relined and thought they were poor so went back and they supplied the fabric type with bits of brass in etc, these did grip better but I ordered the German 8" anyway because they are the best and needed on todays roads where every car has ABS etc.

DucATIRadeon

Non-VOC Member
I've got these on by Rap: cast-in scoops, word has it they're from "Electron" some aluminium/magnesium alloy and fitted to Lightning bikes?
didn't brake wel, I suppose less bad than the standard bikes as the shoe pivots have little to no support in the brake plates and bend, resulting from the shoes pushing (or pulling) on them offset from the brake plate hence bending moment.

I made new pivots with mush larger base and 0-on-0 tolerance fit, turn the shoes in the lathe to the drum diameter and have direct improvement on the braking!! still with old/thin shoes and lining almost gone, but it demonstrates the point.
IMG_1238.JPG

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
It might be worth mentioning here that old magnesium alloy "Electron" components may have lost strength due to corrosion so inspect carefully especially with safety-critical parts. Magnesium alloy parts were often treated with a gold-coloured protective coating. Modern magnesium alloy likely uses a different mix (some calcium added?) to improve strength/corrosion resistance.

kerry

VOC Member
Interesting, Thank you, further makes me think 8" TLS is the answer, very expensive but small scale production of course.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
"Magnesium alloy components do not age well, becoming brittle with age,mag brake plates are best used on the shelf of the garage, when you really need them, they are quite likely to shatter under load."

This was a little message I had from a friend who is a metallurgist who does some NDT work for me.
This was following my request for him to examine some magnesium lightning brake plates I picked up at an autojumble.

Oh dear, I did some further homework and had mentioned it to another friend who is an insurance underwriter he informed me if you declare modern magnesium wheels, what like the ones I have on my superbike, yes, we will not insure you!
They have a very short shelf /use life.

More money spent replacing the very expensive mag racing wheels with the standard heavy alloy originals.
Beware the exotic metals, any one else have any experience of exploding mag brake plates or the limitations of magnesium alloy versus time?
Al

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
"Magnesium alloy components do not age well, becoming brittle with age,mag brake plates are best used on the shelf of the garage, when you really need them, they are quite likely to shatter under load."

This was a little message I had from a friend who is a metallurgist who does some NDT work for me.
This was following my request for him to examine some magnesium lightning brake plates I picked up at an autojumble.

Oh dear, I did some further homework and had mentioned it to another friend who is an insurance underwriter he informed me if you declare modern magnesium wheels, what like the ones I have on my superbike, yes, we will not insure you!
They have a very short shelf /use life.

More money spent replacing the very expensive mag racing wheels with the standard heavy alloy originals.
Beware the exotic metals, any one else have any experience of exploding mag brake plates or the limitations of magnesium alloy versus time?
Al
oh oh, now my Godet has them too, and at 230mm they are to weak in braking, as would 179mm ones.
alltough i know a good one... Yam TZ replicas?? and various ones for sale, what to buy??
I will ask Godets too.