H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Ferodo AM4 Brake Linings

Oldhaven

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
It’s not necessarily true that nothing can be done Peter. Recent immunotherapy treatments with monoclonal antibodies have been promising and have been the reason I am still here writing this now. The treatment was approved just as I was diagnosed in the fall of 2020. Great timing for me, since you were basically correct that before US FDA approval of immunotherapy nothing used really did more than slightly prolong the inevitable. It is still no picnic as the treatment, while it shrank my tumors, ruined my thyroid and pancreas. Meso is one of those things that waits around until you retire happily before it slaps you up side the head. Mine was undoubtedly a result of my naval service in the 70’s, but I also did my share of motorcycle and Land Rover brake jobs over the years. For most of us older Vin owners it is too late to do anything about our careless youth, but that is no excuse to play with the stuff now and you can carry the asbestos dust in to your family from the garage. Carefully get rid of anything you suspect might be asbestos, and wear PPE while you handle it. It’s not worth it to try to use the old stuff.

Last edited:

oexing

VOC Member
Hmmm, got some stock of Ferodos since 40 years when you still got some from the company. Some AM4 but mainly RM 2 for my Ceriani and Fontana 4 LS brakes. I tried some in a 1928 BMW front drum but still quite useless so maybe next time I get some softer lining from the industrial business. I wonder if these green linings suffer from overstocking them for decades. Just I´d be sad to throw the Ferodos in the bin some day . . . ..

Vic

P1100176.JPG

vibrac

VOC Member
Saftek do an abestos free AM4 substitute its what we use on the racer
anyway AM4 made the brakes squeal to much and that was the deciding factor I wasnt going to spend my youth while racing stuffing copper wire up the brake springs in case the hypersonics fractured the springs....

highbury731

VOC Member
My entire working life was spent around asbestos products and I can't remember anyone getting asbestosis. Treat it with respect like you would a sharp knife and you'll be fine. AM4 is a great lining but, I highly recommend you don't sniff a line of it's dust up your nose... ;-)
A friend of mine got mesothelioma. He was a very fit 68 year old, who got pain in a shoulder injury that would not heal. It turned out to be mesothelioma. He was exposed to asbestos when he was 31, he was doing a building job for two or three weeks, where he had to sweep up dust from sawing sheets of asbestos for fire insulation. After diagnosis he was told to expect to live for 2 or 3 months. He died 2 1/2 months later. It was not nice.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
That is really terrible, but why would anyone do that or, worse be told to do that? In the USA we knew all about the dangers of Asbestos from the mid to late 60's? Didn't you have Unions to look out for your safety at your work place?

vibrac

VOC Member
When apprentice in 1961 I turned a batch of white asbestos rods for two days on a lathe, I have spent fifty years waiting and worrying ....
what was it the man was heard saying as he passed the 55 floor after he jumped from the 100th?
"So far so good"..

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
What you want to do ,Is ring the Council, I did,
Having taken down an Asbestos roof, Tried taking it to the Dump,
Was told , You can't leave that here !,
So on the phone they said , Break it up into 2 foot squares,
I think it was a max' of 4 squares !! At a time, And put it under your hedge,
And we will send a man round, Not sure when !.

I was always not sure if the stuff we were told to spray on Brake linings ,
Was worse than the Asbestos !!.