H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Extended brake linings

Black Flash

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I cannot proof it yet as my original wheels are still under progress but I am sure you will increase braking by reducing the brake lining area on the trailing shoe, preferably near the brake cam. This way you increase the pressure on the rest of the lining to wear away at a similar rate as the leading shoe.
This is a a common mod with - dare I say- SR 500 riders.

Bernd

vibrac

VOC Member
I cannot proof it yet as my original wheels are still under progress but I am sure you will increase braking by reducing the brake lining area on the trailing shoe, preferably near the brake cam. This way you increase the pressure on the rest of the lining to wear away at a similar rate as the leading shoe.
This is a a common mod with - dare I say- SR 500 riders.

Bernd
Near the cam on the trailing? I thought the pivot on the trailing -the least efficient point, but you have probably done your home work

greg brillus

VOC Member
With these 7 inch brakes (way too small for a bike like a Vincent) the VSM brakes manufactured by Vincent Speet are the only real solution. A customer of mine has them on both his Shadow's and he likes them better than the disc brakes on his "Modern's"...............:).

vibrac

VOC Member
The science of how brakes work https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction .

Looks like if you change the contact area and at the same time reduce the force per square inch you acheive ----- Nothing!

So much for those 'bigger' linings
I agree Martin but what the proponents are saying as I understand it is that fade and wear rates improve
NB I have standard shoes and initially on another thread was asking about Brampton fork safety with bigger brakes which no-one including Vincent Brake (whose opinion would be greatly valued) has really answered

greg brillus

VOC Member
I have installed two sets of his brakes to bikes with Brampton's and they work very well. But I'm not sure how much of a better brake it would be worth trying until the forks failed.....I'm not sure I am prepared to find out. Has anyone installed discs to a set of Brampton's.....? I do know if better brakes were used that worked well forward or backward that the anchor lugs would fail very easily. They usually break at the top of the lug.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
aha I see some sense is coming in now:).
as for bramptons, i can recommend for a comet A to grind 10mm of the leading edge, and depending the rider, a Rapide too.