H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Extended brake linings

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have installed two sets of his brakes to bikes with Brampton's and they work very well. But I'm not sure how much of a better brake it would be worth trying until the forks failed.....I'm not sure I am prepared to find out. Has anyone installed discs to a set of Brampton's.....? I do know if better brakes were used that worked well forward or backward that the anchor lugs would fail very easily. They usually break at the top of the lug.
Brother Ron, Had a Norton Commando disc on his "A" Twin. Cheers Bill.

aluminiumbronze

VOC Member
I have the "Vintage brake" linings in my front brakes using replica Lightning plates and the front brakes work very well. The rear has asbestos linings which have some mileage on them now and don't work as good as they use to. The comments about the brakes not working so well after some use seems to be true, as I have found on several bikes now, the linings and drums look perfect but they don't seem to pull up as good as when they were first set up. Even two up my brakes pull the bike up very well really, although the last time I took it around Lakeside race track after the first "Hard stop" into the "Bus stop" which is very hard on brakes and back to first gear out........The brakes were useless......... It really made me wonder how the old school racers from years ago use to pull up on these bikes.
Asbestos!

vibrac

VOC Member
It is true that some surface 'hardening' occurs with some modern lining material especially standard stuff exposed to hard braking over a period. I have a suspicion it may be reintegration of dust. the old am4 always kept grainy following advice of the times when everyone was racing on asbestos at the voc races I would put shallow diagonal hacksaw slots at say half inch spacing in the faces of the linings to direct dust to the outside of the drum safetek do some am4 replacement material 'of limited supply' whatever that means I use it on the racers it seems ok better than most but not as good as the old Brampton bender stuff of yesteryear and I wouldn't like to bet on it getting through Australian customs