H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Drum Brake and Shoe Tuning - Race Tech

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
There is a way to do this without a 27" swing lathe or any lathe.
The photograph shows how I turned the drums of the complete wheels on my 1928 Ariel using my mill. No lathes were injured in the truing. Both brakes worked perfectly afterwards, without the slightest judder of the brake levers.

1ArielHub.JPG

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
That is today’s job. New shoes and no asbestos! What size shim do you put between the cam and shoe when turning?

Couldn’t you swing a 27” wheel assembly in that behemoth of a mill if you wanted to?
Yes, the mill has plenty of room for this, tire and all. I was a bit concerned about possible chatter and damage with a milling cutter. Also the idea of fettling things in a fully assembled state seemed worthwhile.
If the drum is seriously out of round a mill or big lathe is the way to go. If the problem is just 5 or 10 thou in size, the Emery will get you there in fairly short order.

Monkeypants

Non-VOC Member
Sorry, I've forgotten the exact particulars of the lathe arrangement for arcing the shoes.
I have a hunch you will McGiver up something clever & sneaky for this.

Glen

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Milling is also perfect.

I always say uf more than 0.1mm out of true round.
One starts to feel it in the braking.
Bit depending how stiff the set up is.

I guess with standard vinnie brake plate it sets in at 0.5 mm.....

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Milling is also perfect.
The limitation of milling is the same as that of Neway cutters, i.e. in the latter case any out-of-axial force bends the pilot and results in a valve seat that looks like:

Dali_persistencememory.jpg

Given the large diameter, turning the wheel in the mill offers plenty of opportunity to bear down on one side of the wheel "just a little" and create a non-cylindrical drum as a result. I offer this as a caution, not a reason not to do it. Be conscious of your the possible problem and you can avoid it.

Cyborg

VOC Member
So with under 0.1, Neal’s shoes and aluminum plates this should stop without judder.

Used an old axle for a mandrel. Cut down the backside of the axle to .750” and held it in a collet in the headstock.… so no %#&#*& runout! Run in reverse so if I screw up the nut holding the plate unscrews and the plate stops instead of having everything turn into chutney.
0B3ADCF3-D952-48C1-A9B0-AE45577B2CFF.jpeg

Cyborg

VOC Member
It seems that when I set the top slide at 90 degrees (parallel to the ways) I frequently run into that clearance trouble with the tailstock. Plus often I need the extra travel in the Y axis with the 9” lathe. I do understand what you are saying. I keep the gib snug (maybe I should install a lock?) and keep the backlash taken up. Instead of buying a second (old) lathe, I should have sold the little one and bought one newer decent sized one.

Anyway… back on topic. Shoes turned…. on to painting.
BFB73120-DDFF-4807-BC4F-EE33EFB8FD29.jpeg

Tom Walker

Non-VOC Member
A bit late in the day, but anyone in the UK Midlands has the option of Bob Coley in north Leicester who has proper drum skimming machine and also arches shoes to fit. Am I allowed to give his number on the forum or do you just PM me?

Cyborg

VOC Member
…… more than bolting on new reproduction parts. Maybe it shouldn’t, but it does surprise me how much work some new parts require before they are usable.