Comet Smoking After Rebore Is the Bore Glazed ?

Matty

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Thanks all
The lift I was offered was a very nice hydraulic one with front wheel clamps etc., but in my restricted space whatever lift I have, I would have to have one of the bikes parked on it, which is not a very user friendly situation.

VOC Spares Ian suggested that some bikes had a problem with a pool of oil round top of the exhaust valve guide which leaked in, but I have had the pipe off and the area round the valve guide in the exhaust port is not oily. In any case I have tried running the engine for a short time with the oil feed to the valve gear bypassed and the smoke looked about the same when I blipped the throttle.

Perhaps I'll try this trick for a short run up the road to make sure it is not just residual oil round the valve gear or in the head producing the smoke. It is now snowing however, so I'm afraid the experiment will have to be postponed for a bit.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Regarding Bruce's query in #16 above; yes a Vin twin can be stable on one of those if you use one of my fibreglass engine/gearbox stands. My Knight engine/gearbox unit currently is sitting on top of one in my new workshop I am still fitting out. Do you need a photograph?

I think we ALL want a photograph!!

Peter B
Bristol, UK.
STILL WANTED: Series 'A' Front Frame

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
How is a Vin stable on one of those? I thought about getting one, but couldn't see a good way.
A very good point Bruce. I have a centre stand on my Rapide so there is no problem with that. I can see that using the rear stand would be problematic when used on a lift up work bench. If your bench is wide enough you can deploy both front stands and block them up with pieces of wood. Some benches have a clamp for the front wheel that helps secure the bike. My bench is home made and I haven't got around to making a front wheel clamp ... yet. I usually put a couple of ratchet straps on to give a bit more security.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
The full table bike lifts are just as stable as on the floor and have tie down anchor loops to further stabilize the bike. I am curious about Vibrac's lift in post #16. I have seen some with a strap around the motor of bikes with full frames, such as a H******, but a Vin motor, etc. is pretty lumpy on the bottom.

tim welsh

Non-VOC Member
A couple of thoughts:
Have you got a seal on the inlet valve- does seem to help with the smoking, just replaced the ones in my rapide after 40,000m.
I stopped using Morris 20/50 a couple of years ago due to rings sticking badly in grooves(had to "chisel" them out), causeing oil pouring from breather and clouds of smoke!. Lots of laquer seemed to be the cause. Spoke to Morris who said it was "low additive" oil, for "old" engines. Now many miles on modern 10/40 semi synthetic, not reoccured. Could try Morris Ringfree, bit higher detergent?

timetraveller

VOC Member

Now if that has worked you will see one image of a stand. (Actually this is a plug to make a new mould to experiment with RIFT technology.) The second image should be of the Knight engine/gearbox unit on a similar stand to that discussed above. In this instance there no cut outs but the fibreglass stand is on timber to give it extra height for working on. The third image should be of a stand with cut out supporting the ex-Cecil Mills bike. This is all on a full sized lifting work bench

timetraveller

VOC Member
Well clearly that did not work.. I suspect the file are too large. I tried putting them in Drop box and that did not help and then I have used 'Paint' to reduce the files to 10% of their original size. Still no go. I have attached photos before but have obviously forgotten what trick has to be used. Help! I am using Windows 8 if that makes a difference.

Nulli Secundus

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Hi timetraveller,

Try right clicking on the file (photo) you want to share with us and select "Share Dropbox link". This should copy the link to your photo into your "clipboard", which you should be able to paste into your post (Control v or Ctrl v).

Not that this is always the case, but in this one I think 'size' does not matter............:cool: