Misc: Everything Else Comet Pazon, Alton, Mikuni Strange Misfire/Power Loss

revderek

Forum User
VOC Member
:) The filter has removed all the symptoms.
However, the comment that something has failed is very valid - I believe one of the AC supply leads has an intermittent short/break which is inducing the interference. Possibly the shellac may have cracked, the unit is over 20 years old. I'm waiting to hear from Alton before I pull the alternator to pieces because at least the bike is running and rideable. Worst that can happen is that I have to replace the generator which is simple!
It's all going on the oscilloscope soon so I can see what's going on.

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
:) The filter has removed all the symptoms.
However, the comment that something has failed is very valid - I believe one of the AC supply leads has an intermittent short/break which is inducing the interference. Possibly the shellac may have cracked, the unit is over 20 years old. I'm waiting to hear from Alton before I pull the alternator to pieces because at least the bike is running and rideable. Worst that can happen is that I have to replace the generator which is simple!
It's all going on the oscilloscope soon so I can see what's going on.
I have (in the past) had discussions with the folk at Tri-Spark on this topic. From that as I understand it the Podtronic regulators used by Alton (and others) are fine when new but as they age, they start to deteriorate and start to produce excessive electrical 'noise' and it is that noise that causes issues with electronic based ignition systems; so all will be well for a period of time then things start to go bad.

Apparently the MOSFET based regulators tested and now sold by Tri-Spark do not suffer from this type of degradation over time.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
I use one of these with my Alton on the Comet. It is one Kubota alternators use. Use the same thing on the twin with a MacDougalator. They seem to work.
20220107_153651.jpg

bmetcalf

VOC Member
MVH, any model number info available? There are a lot listed for Kubotas. The price is very good, under $US26.

craig

VOC Member
Thank you, how is this six wire regulator wired to an Alton 12v system please.
I am used to a four wire Podtronics.

KubotaRegulatorGH5530.jpg

Chris Launders

VOC Member
With six wires it is obviously for a "car" type alternator with three phases and an exciter winding, you need a 4 wire one like this.

oexing

VOC Member
I´d be interested to hear about these regulators to go with the Altons. My first test with typical motorbike regulators was appalling: The alternator heated up in minutes to unacceptable degrees, the regulator as well. Some sets are obviously designed for good ccoling and oil cooled alternators on the bike. That is because of a primitive design in the regulator: When voltage reaches limits the regulator shorts one phase in the alternator. This puts high load on alternator and produces a LOT of heat. Plus you never get a lot of extra power from the alternator as all electric power gets cutoff at 14 V . So my idea was to go for these converters that I tested on my jig , see below. No critical heat after half an hour with 200 W quartz bulb loads, no extra ccoling in my workshop, 60 degrees max. on the alternator. So I can recommend this set, just you need a three phase rectifier (for 3ph Alton ?) , bolted to a piece of alu for a bit of heat sump, plus the converter and you get some more power out of the Alton. No need to find an open place for components, I ´d think about somewhere behind gearbox, under battery or so.
Also, I´d like to know how the windings in the f***d Altons look, any colours of overheating/burned varnish ? This may be a sign of poor regulator tech, unlike my set - which is not hearsay but benchtested. Lots of suitable gear for this available from Aliexpress, at a fraction of costs . So you could have some spares for the price of Alton stuff. The basic set can be hooked to any permanent magnet alternators - like Lucas types on Commandos with their Zeners - as the alternator is not affected at all by the converter. You just let the power unit output whatever it can and only in last stage the voltage gets reduced to 13.8 V for charging the bike.
It does not matter if 3ph or 2ph alternators are connected, you just pick a suitable rectifier , 3ph or not, and behind it comes the converter.

Vic

20 A converter

280 W converter

P1070256.JPG

P1070265.JPG

P1080717.JPG

P1080720.JPG

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Now did I over buy myself with tri-spark Mosfet regulators?

To be put on an Alton???
That puts out DC voltage? or is it alternating?

I like those little EMC dampening coils!!

van drenth

VOC Member
I run my BS for more than 10 years with one Pazon , dual sparkplugs,
Got only one problem.
The problem was that one sparkplug did not fire.
Cause: Pazon will only run good if you have only resistor plugs or only resistor caps.
Double up WILL not work and no resistors WILL also not work.
I did have wrong plugs.
The digital bobine's are also sensitive to good earthing.

Regards,
JC van Drenth