E: Engine Comet Crank Cover

Scotty

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Hi, this is my first post on here, So I do hope I am posting in the correct place. I have a near complete series c comet in various boxes, consisting of most of the major pieces. This includes the engine, tank, upper frame member, lower member (swinging arm) two burman gearboxes, various bracketry, wheels and a whole heap of boxes with carbs, horns, cogs, gaskets etc etc.
It's all original Vincent kit, however I do have one trivial question about the crankcase cover.
All of the photos that I have seen have 'Vincent' printed on them, the one I have is completely blank?
Any ideas, I am assuming it's non original, but still must date from the 50's as it's hasn't been touched since around that time.
Thanks in advance.

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Welcome to the Forum. Blank timing covers were made during the change over from HRD to Vincent. General thought is that the HRD embossing was ground off and the covers left blank before the covers with the Vincent embossing were available. Good luck with the project.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Look inside the cover, you should see a stamped on number, now look at the crankcase at the rear by the cylinder base. If the numbers match it is the original from the works. Same story for the primary cover too.

Scotty

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Superb, thankyou very much, it all corresponds. One more item that you maybe able to help me with, the rear swinging arm has no frame number stamped on it, just FTO (or atleast that's what I can decipher) on the upper side bearing section!
My dad has a Vin and his numbers are as plain as day on the lug?
Thanks again!

davidd

VOC Member
If you do not have a frame number on the top of the primary side rear frame lug then it is most likely a replacement RFM. The replacement is often due to the bike being rear ended by a car. I have seen quite a few RFM's with no number. The "FT" number is a part number, "FT" indicating that the part is in the frame group.

David

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
As David mentions, the RFM serial number is at the other end, the very rear, near where the axle is, not up near the front pivot bearing housing. For a Comet, the number is on the same side as the drive chain.

timetraveller

VOC Member
After all these years the frame number is often filled in with paint and not visible. Have a look at where it is on your fathers bike and then, if you really care, be prepared to scrape off the paint in the area where the stamping is. Matching numbers only matter to collectors, not to riders.

vibrac

VOC Member
The DVLA supposedly only regard the front ufm number as the official one but trying to decide what the DVLA rules are in practice is like guessing Genghis khan s table manners

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Superb, thankyou very much, it all corresponds. One more item that you maybe able to help me with, the rear swinging arm has no frame number stamped on it, just FTO (or atleast that's what I can decipher) on the upper side bearing section!
My dad has a Vin and his numbers are as plain as day on the lug?
Thanks again!
I think you are looking at the casting number on the pivot casting, FT6, usually followed by a fainter, stamped, "/2" if I remember rightly. Find your local Section and join the Club. You will get a lot of help. Comets are a very pleasant bike to use, don't let it scare you! The right gearbox, if you are interested, will probably have G97 (letter) 49 or 50 stamped on it. Cheers from Australia.