C: Clutch Clutch Suggestions…

BigEd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Upon removing the the front plate this is what I found…. Super interesting. Seem like it just gave up over time.
The slots in the drum look to be far too wide. Mine are a bit wide and I think that may be where some of the clattering comes from when ticking over. Perhaps the loose slots in the drum led to the break-up of the friction plate. The one-piece friction plate I have installed has been in use for most of the 50,000 miles. I do have a spare just in case.:)

greg brillus

VOC Member
The original Ferodo plates are quite fragile........any excess backlash on the ears of the drum will rapidly hammer the plate to bits.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Yes, contrary to Greg's thoughts, (dare I) I thought that the original Ferodo plates had the harder ears feature, sadly not the case with the later type, but I am also of the opinion that a severely abused plate will crack and fail, they are after all only a primary plate, they will only take so much heat and abuse created by continuous slippage, it is essential that the servo clutch is in good order to avoid this.

Cyborg

VOC Member
There is this option for a plate. Not keen on the filing part. Someone with a dividing head and a mill, could make sure the load on the ears is even.
77DA4F22-5836-4958-8BCB-21A999633613.jpeg

ossie

VOC Member
Upon removing the the front plate this is what I found…. Super interesting. Seem like it just gave up over time.
the drum looks had it the drive ears look like knife edges not good for the disc and one shoe lining is cracked by rivet. I fix mine on with araldite as well as rivets. tired but fixable good luck.

ossie

VOC Member
Yes, contrary to Greg's thoughts, (dare I) I thought that the original Ferodo plates had the harder ears feature, sadly not the case with the later type, but I am also of the opinion that a severely abused plate will crack and fail, they are after all only a primary plate, they will only take so much heat and abuse created by continuous slippage, it is essential that the servo clutch is in good order to avoid this.
i think the pilot takes most use on take off and idling when shoes are not employed.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
The original Ferodo plates are quite fragile. Yes they are, I have experience. But at the Spares they have been selling an excellent alternative for many years,
CLUTCH PLATE LIGHTNING TYPE BONDED (5 EAR) C24/1

View attachment 54972
Without any doubt that plate is the best solution, I have been using one for some considerable time, the thick plate inflicts less wear on the drum, and as long as the servo clutch is functioning as it should, that plate should last a very long time. I was very pleased to see this post as I purchased mine a very long time ago, I assumed that I had purchased my plate from one of the other suppliers, but could not recall who, now I know I can purchase another from Club Spares should I ever need to, Great News.

Last edited: