C: Clutch Clutch Suggestions…

50BlkShadow

Active Forum User
VOC Member
So after rebuilding the carbs on my new machine, I decided to take peek at the clutch, just to check it out before a test run. I removed the clutch cover to find, well…..dust.

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions if I should go back with originals parts or is there a better option?

Attachments

• 298B2CF4-D4FE-4890-BEA8-C86C3C0E789C.jpeg
    298B2CF4-D4FE-4890-BEA8-C86C3C0E789C.jpeg
    351.1 KB · Views: 73
  • CFD98762-4DC2-439B-A6CF-0090D974CD32.jpeg
    CFD98762-4DC2-439B-A6CF-0090D974CD32.jpeg
    445.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 07E6C1F0-C62D-430F-9731-B7638C8DED28.jpeg
    07E6C1F0-C62D-430F-9731-B7638C8DED28.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 73

LoneStar

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So after rebuilding the carbs on my new machine, I decided to take peek at the clutch, just to check it out before a test run. I removed the clutch cover to find, well…..dust.

Does anyone have any recommendations or suggestions if I should go back with originals parts or is there a better option?
Very strange - that looks like dirt, rather than residue from the clutch shoes.

Anyway, the original clutch works fine when it's in good condition and properly assembled and adjusted. Lots of detailed information in the Riders Handbook, Instruction Sheets and Richardson. Strip it down, clean everything and inspect for wear or damage; not a major task.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Well, for starters, I wouldn't inhale any of the dust! It's been many years since I did it, but the standard clutch, carefully put together, worked just fine for me once I reduced the head thickness of the badly made C4 bolts that were fouling the drum. I did use the "Lightning" friction plate and drum as well. Most people nowadays seem to use multiplate clutches and starting this enquiry is a bit like an OIL or SPARK PLUG thread. I note you say "new machine", what history, please? The question is merely to give a clue to the abuse the poor beast has suffered, I'm not looking to cast nasturtiums here.

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I have used both a multi-plate clutch and the original Vincent clutch in my Rapide. The original is without doubt in my mind the best.
It may seem very complicated but when assembled and adjusted correctly it is exceptionaly light to operate, progressive, doesn't slip or clunk engaging first gear.
If you already have an original clutch I would spend a little money on that with a few new parts rather than spend a larger amount on a new multi-plate clutch. This is my experience when building my Rapide from a pile of bits.
It came with a new multi-plate clutch so that is what I fitted as a quick option. It was OK but needed attention fairly often when I was doing a lot of miles on a regular basis. On checking in the remaining pile of bits I found I had the majority of parts for the original clutch. I just needed to purchase a few new parts from the Spares Co to complete it. With bit of studying to understand how it worked I adjusted it and ended up with a great clutch.

50BlkShadow

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Well, for starters, I wouldn't inhale any of the dust! It's been many years since I did it, but the standard clutch, carefully put together, worked just fine for me once I reduced the head thickness of the badly made C4 bolts that were fouling the drum. I did use the "Lightning" friction plate and drum as well. Most people nowadays seem to use multiplate clutches and starting this enquiry is a bit like an OIL or SPARK PLUG thread. I note you say "new machine", what history, please? The question is merely to give a clue to the abuse the poor beast has suffered, I'm not looking to cast nasturtiums here.
My reference to “new machine”, just means new to me. I purchased the machine a couple of weeks ago from a gentleman who purchase it in 2017 and did nothing to it. As the years before, I found a link to where it was sold on eBay, but other than that, the previous owner did not have any information on it. Here is the link from where it was posted. Any help finding out more info would be great.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
It looks to me like you have a Ferodo one piece friction disc clutch plate in there, and it is disintegrating, you have had quite a lucky escape, if this happens on the road you lose all drive, and you would have to call a friend or the rescue services, the primary drive friction plates that are sold now are far better than the original type that you have. I would adhere to a previous posters advice, take care how you deal with the dust, and do not inhale.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Looks like you need a new friction plate and a new drum C1.......the ears on the drum look too wide, and the one on your second picture at the 2 o'clock position has a chunk broken off it........the lugs on the original one piece lightning type friction plates will hammer themselves to bits if the clearance is too much and/or if the steel lugs on the drum are damaged as yours are.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Everything above is correct and useful but one thing that intrigues me is the fact that the dust is not oily. Original Vincent clutches are prone to be oily, and slip if not slightly modified and carefully assembled. When taking this clutch apart the first thing you will need to make sure is that you have a screw driver which is a really good fit in the heads of the nine screws you can see in the outer ring. Give them all just a slight turn to make sure that they will come loose and then slacken them all off about one to two full turns. After that you can remove the outer two of each group of three and then progressively slacken the remaining three central ones so that the annular ring never gets too far off level with the outer plate. If you can find a local member who is knowledgeable and has the time then get them to supervise your dismantling of the rest of the parts. Those parts can tell you a lot about what you have and why it is dusty, rather than oily, normally a good thing, but in your case not. Check the oil level in both the primary chain case and the gearbox. Ask more questions, with photographs, when you get further into it and good luck.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I'm sure you are right Greg but generally, when looking into the clutch 'compartment' on a Vin, there is at least a trace of oil. Could be that it has all been absorbed by the turbulence of the disintegrating clutch plate but from the details in the advert shown it seems to have been looked at by an expert and then not used or hardly used. In fact little used for 54 years. My thoughts, which could be wrong of course, is that at what stage in the previous fifty odd years did this happen and how come an expert did not spot something?