C: Clutch Clutch Cable

phsDommie

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I need to make up a new clutch cable - is anyone able to tell me how much free length (i.e. the portion of the internal cable that is outside the cable housing) I need, please?

chankly bore

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
The free length to the nipple is 1.675" The measurements on an original cable are: Outer 47 1/2", adjuster fully closed, Inner about 49 3/16" to start of nipples. The slight difference is tape measure vs. vernier calipers. NOTE: if you are using Touring bars add about 2", the adjusters nowadays are clunky and ugly and seems purposely designed to remove paint from the Girdraulic upper link. Better to position the adjuster about 12" from t'other end of cable, and if you can, make your own adjuster or use an old one, cadmium plated, of course. The original adjuster I have is 1.575" fully closed overall.

phsDommie

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Chankly Bore, I am very grateful for the information you sent but am a little puzzled - my cable, which had been purchased from Coventry Spares, has quite different dimensions. The outer housing measures 42" with the adjuster fully closed and the free length from ferrule to nipple edge of my (now repaired) cable is 2.5". I was concerned that it (free length) might be too short but it is substantially longer than the 1.675" you describe. That somehow seems too short when the fulcrum to lever distance, the G94 and distance from G94 to G91 need to be considered. I need to wait for my new parts (G91 and rod(s) ) to see if I need to make up a different cable.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Chankly Bore, I am very grateful for the information you sent but am a little puzzled - my cable, which had been purchased from Coventry Spares, has quite different dimensions. The outer housing measures 42" with the adjuster fully closed and the free length from ferrule to nipple edge of my (now repaired) cable is 2.5". I was concerned that it (free length) might be too short but it is substantially longer than the 1.675" you describe. That somehow seems too short when the fulcrum to lever distance, the G94 and distance from G94 to G91 need to be considered. I need to wait for my new parts (G91 and rod(s) ) to see if I need to make up a different cable.
The clutch cable on a twin is different to a single as they are different gearboxes. Which are you asking about as Clanky Bore's dimensions may be for a different bike to what you are asking about.

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Juat a thought , The twin valve lifter cable fits.