H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Brake plate runout

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I get that... and I will contact them. Although it might sound like I'm complaining, it was more like moaning. Normally, in the past, I wouldn't think twice.. I would just ship them back. Since I started this project, I've had to change my perspective on that sort of thing and modify, tweak, bend, file, etc.... now I'm starting to sound like I'm complaining o_O Anyway... it's always good to get someone elses perspective just to make sure I don't require additional behavioural intervention.
It was always thus !!, These are hand built bikes, They said the Shadows were made out of the better fitting bits ?.
I have always said, You need to be a Mechanic to build one of these, With lots of tools and lots of time !!,
You think you are going into the garage for an hours work, No chance !, You will be there all day !. Good luck, It sounds like you are getting the hang of it, Cheers Bill.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Yes there are those who can strip and reassemble their Vincent engine over a weekend..........But they also tend to be plagued with problems. Until you take your time and go through it all properly, then and only then.....will you have a reliable and somewhat "Oil tight" machine. Most new parts are quite good, possibly needing some re-work to fit remembering that most of these parts are only made in small batches. But some aftermarket parts are really not much more than scrap. The parts availability is better now than ever before, we must take advantage of it whilst we can, as it won't go on forever............

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Hi Greg,

I have always been able to strip my Vincent, including splitting the cases, in less than half a day.

My first 'rebuild' took me 2 days; second time around it took almost a week. Some 50,000 miles and a lot of experience later I am again in the midst of a total rebuild (no painting!) and I figure it’s going to take at least a month - possibly longer. As you observed - you must check and double check everything and be prepared for some surprises as a detail item that you expected to deal with in just a few minutes can unexpectedly consume days - and sometimes a lot longer if it involves negotiations with suppliers.

In reassembly everything must be spotlessly clean all the time and you need to check and double check every component and your work as well.

vibrac

VOC Member
Yes there are those who can strip and reassemble their Vincent engine over a weekend..........But they also tend to be plagued with problems. Until you take your time and go through it all properly, then and only then.....will you have a reliable and somewhat "Oil tight" machine. Most new parts are quite good, possibly needing some re-work to fit remembering that most of these parts are only made in small batches. But some aftermarket parts are really not much more than scrap. The parts availability is better now than ever before, we must take advantage of it whilst we can, as it won't go on forever............

No spares supply won't go on forever to ensure it does
Join the club
When checking prices include postage
Put quality before price
Remember if a part does not fit it may be what it's fitted to is the problem
Always tell your supplier about problems before the crowd

Last edited by a moderator:

aluminiumbronze

VOC Member
It has been said that worn brake cam housings cannot be reclaimed. They can be pressed out, they're not in that tight, and bored and sleeved in a lathe and pressed back in. They should be secured with braze or weld. I rescued a pair of insurance write off plates that were better than the ones supplied by the "expert" to replace them. Cheers, Stu.
Ream and use oversized brake cams, mentioned elsewhere

B

brap

I fitted maughan ali brake plates with the cast in scoops. I have two freshly painted front steel brake plates with s/s water excluders fitted. I'm prepared to sell them if they are of interest to you just drop me a pm.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
Hi Greg,

I have always been able to strip my Vincent, including splitting the cases, in less than half a day.

My first 'rebuild' took me 2 days; second time around it took almost a week. Some 50,000 miles and a lot of experience later I am again in the midst of a total rebuild (no painting!) and I figure it’s going to take at least a month - possibly longer. As you observed - you must check and double check everything and be prepared for some surprises as a detail item that you expected to deal with in just a few minutes can unexpectedly consume days - and sometimes a lot longer if it involves negotiations with suppliers.

In reassembly everything must be spotlessly clean all the time and you need to check and double check every component and your work as well.

You must be in a kind of Super Retirement Martyn?
than again, ur talking about a rebuild.. not an overhaul, or is my language short now:D
i cant wait.......