Misc: Everything Else Black Lightning Chain Guard

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Anyone have a photo or drawing of a Lightning chain guard? Looking for info on the rear mount. Presumably the guard has a tab that bolts onto the RFM seat mount.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Mine was not a proper L/ning, But I just put a long bolt through the seat fitting and drilled through the guard,
This is not my L/ning but looks almost the same fitting ?.

Attachments

• IMG_20191021_175447 (4).jpg
    IMG_20191021_175447 (4).jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 29
  • DSC01536.JPG
    DSC01536.JPG
    295.5 KB · Views: 29

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks Bill,
Looking at the guard and offering it up to the RFM the only real choice is the seat bracket. I was thinking of reusing the rear tab from the guard as long as it provides enough chain clearance.
Not likely there is a photo lying around that shows a closeup of the backside. Too bad Len’s Lightning isn’t in public view from time to time.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Here is another way, Sorry don't know the owner.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-16 at 10.59.20.jpg
    Screenshot 2021-07-16 at 10.59.20.jpg
    510.6 KB · Views: 28

Cyborg

VOC Member
I wouldn’t attach it to the short stay. Ok for grab handle if there is one. Just extra vibration on short stay that might cause a stress crack on the fender? Doesn’t really make sense when the seat bracket is right there.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Yes, Mines been on since 1980,
Just a small self locking nut and washer , Inside the guard.

Attachments

• IMG_20210917_124752 (2).jpg
    IMG_20210917_124752 (2).jpg
    426.7 KB · Views: 11

davidd

VOC Member
The chain guard was attached to the seat bracket on Lightnings and Grey Flashes. One of the reasons is that the chain guard was chopped radically to allow for quick sprocket changes. This meant that the guard was shortened and raised. The anti-rotation bolt on the seat stay was in the best spot. Just use a longer bolt and you are all set.

Earls Court Lightning 1320 1948 (2).jpg

Some were left longer. Some were higher. Some were both.

David

Cyborg

VOC Member
Thanks David,
I had looked at a few photos and it did appear that lengths vary relative to the short stay. I didn’t clue onto the different heights though. When I went to cut the guard, it became evident (more or less) where to make the cut.