H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres Are These Standard or Racing Drum Brakes?

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I believe that they are Maughan plates. The pattern style is certainly Maughan. Maughn does make rear aluminum plates also.

David

Eddie Foreman

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I believe that they are Maughan plates. The pattern style is certainly Maughan. Maughn does make rear aluminum plates also.

David
Thanks for that. The plates seem to be sets. The thicker ones on the left look like front plates as there's the space for the speedo gearbox on one of them. The other two on the right are a few millimetres thinner then the others so possibly a rear set.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Be Careful , If they were Roger Slater Ones, Some didn't have the middle hole ,
In the centre !!.
I fitted a pair just before a race meeting Cadwell Park, = No Brakes !!!!.
Also He gave you a metal thing with holes in to stick to the inside to stop stones
getting in, Which fell off and got jammed inside ?.

Eddie Foreman

Active Forum User
VOC Member
In the centre !!.
Also He gave you a metal thing with holes in to stick to the inside to stop stones
I'll never fit them on the bike so have popped them on eBay.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Well that's a shame, If they are good ones,
Alloy is better than the steel ones, Cooler and stiffer,
But it sounds like you want a standard bike,
Like a lot of people nowadays,
Not for me, Cheers Bill.

Garth Robinson

VOC Member
In the centre !!.
Bill, Ted Davis also sold plates that looked the same as the Slater efforts, the Davis plates looked as if the alloy had been poured into a hole in the ground.I bought a set off him,I was filing for weeks to get them to fit. Strangely, they worked better than the originals.I had to provide the pieces of perforated tin for the air scoops.My araldite must have been better than yours, I am still using them.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I don't think it happened to me Garth, A few of us had trouble, There was a few stories going about,
I didn't know it was the middle hole for a long time, Or I would have just made the hole bigger,
Like we have had to do with some standard steel plates,
I was a bit fed up with them , So in a short time, Brother Ron and me had a go at making
them into 4 leading shoes, We sawed a load of shoes up and Ron welded them together ,
So all ends had the flat bit,
But I didn't really know what I was doing, They were better, But not good enough for me,
But very interesting.

Attachments

• 059a (2).jpg
    059a (2).jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 14

Black Flash

VOC Member
As far as I know they were made by Ted Davis [Davies?]
I have a set as well, the rear ones are okay, the front ones are pretty useless. Not so single hole is drilled perpendicular to the plane, nor are the hole centres at the same distances on the plates.