Animal Road Hazards

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I know when my american (Michigan) freinds came over and we were in my wifes car (she is a far better driver than me) I saw my american friend was worried as we plied the local country roads-he was of course anticipating a deer

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
I know when my american (Michigan) freinds came over and we were in my wifes car (she is a far better driver than me) I saw my american friend was worried as we plied the local country roads-he was of course anticipating a deer
And rightly so. I live just north of Detroit and the area is till quite urban and I've encountered deer on the way to and from work as well as to and from club meetings. They live in the right of ways that electric company has for it's high tension towers. I count myself lucky that I haven't had personal contact with them, though I know several people have written off their cars.
Steven

carlm

Non-VOC Member
A deer would do as much damage as a roo I would imagine, maybe more depending on size.
I think it was $5,000 for the Civic and 15 grand for the Kenworth.
Before the Yukon opened a hunting season on Bison, a lot of vehicles were absolutely destroyed in encounters with them. Since then they got smart and even the hunters are having trouble finding them. Hard to believe that an animal that weighs more than your car can hide like that.

Oldhaven

VOC Member
Here in Maine, moose are a big hazard, and kill a few drivers yearly, and injure a lot more. They are big, 600-1200 lbs, black colored and their eyes do not shine at night like other animals. They like to stand in the roads for easy travel, to avoid insects, and for the road salt. If you hit one in a car, the body is at windshield height, so they go right into the car, often still alive. This is referred to as a Maine Lap Dance.
As for motorcycles, the moose gets the better of that interaction:

DENNISTOWN, Maine — A man from Canada was killed on Saturday night after he struck a moose while riding on his motorcycle, according to police.
Somerset County Sheriff’s Office Detective Lt. Carl E. Gottardi II said the man was traveling north on Route 201 when he hit a moose and was thrown from his 2009 Harley-Davidson. The operator was pronounced dead at the scene.
A passer-by discovered the incident and reported it to police at 8:34 p.m. Saturday. Gottardi said police are not releasing the man’s name until next of kin is notified. He said the operator was an adult male from Canada.
The moose was not found and the motorcycle was totaled.
The operator was wearing a helmet, said Gottardi.

Ron

mercurycrest

VOC Member
We encountered a Moose while driving across Trondelag a couple of years ago. He was limping a bit, so he must have been hit before. Luckily, he seemed as scared of us as we were of him. They sure are a LOT bigger in the right in front of you on the road!

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
We encountered a Moose while driving across Trondelag a couple of years ago. He was limping a bit, so he must have been hit before. Luckily, he seemed as scared of us as we were of him. They sure are a LOT bigger in the right in front of you on the road!
In '99 my buddy and I and my then girlfriend were on our bikes on our way to Laconia and were traveling through the Franklin Gap area towards dusk on the expressway. We pulled over to at a scenic outlook check the map. My girlfriend had noticed a deer crossing sign on the side of the e/way and convinced us we should travel on the state routes the rest of the way because we wouldn't want to hit a deer at at e/way speeds on bikes and state routes having lower limits would give us more time to react. So we chose our route and took the exit to the first state route. As we come off the e/way the first sign we see is warning sign for moose crossing next 20 miles. :confused:
Steven

Dean Grace

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
This wasn't on a bike but last night driving back home from Newcastle NSW, I'd just swapped with the wife due to nutters on the road, less than a minute into it and a brown furry shape raced out onto the road...bump bump...both left wheels hit it and poof the worlds one Koala less damn it :( , blasted things can move quite quickly on the ground and it literally came out of no where, it was dark all I heard was the wife take a gasp and I couldn't do a thing about it except brace on the wheel poor little bugger didn't stand a chance against a car doing 110 kmh.

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
This wasn't on a bike but last night driving back home from Newcastle NSW, I'd just swapped with the wife due to nutters on the road, less than a minute into it and a brown furry shape raced out onto the road...bump bump...both left wheels hit it and poof the worlds one Koala less damn it :( , blasted things can move quite quickly on the ground and it literally came out of no where, it was dark all I heard was the wife take a gasp and I couldn't do a thing about it except brace on the wheel poor little bugger didn't stand a chance against a car doing 110 kmh.
Sounds like suicide to me, actually it's Darwinism in action. The squirrels around here are like that, day and night. They'll be half way up a tree, light pole, telephone pole, or even in a front garden several yards from the road and suddenly they'll rush out into the road right in front of you. You're no where near the mad little buggers and they haven't a snowballs chance in hell of making it. Some are bright enough to realize they won't make and do a 180 at the last possible moment and head for the nearest cover. The ground hogs and opossums are smart enough to move around only very late at night.
Steven